Talk

Advanced search

Pattern blocks... are they worthwhile?

(3 Posts)
caffinequeen Mon 27-May-13 21:37:49

Has anyone made their own pattern blocks? Did you find it was worth doing? And, does it help you adjust the fit of commercial patterns?

Basically, I have been sewing or about a year or so. So far I have made various small bits and pieces (bags etc.) clothes for the dc's and a couple of simple garments for myself. What I really want to be able to do is adapt commercial patterns so they fit me perfectly. There is a 2 day course at my local fabric shop which includes making pattern blocks - is it going to help me with what I want, or is it only a starting point to drafting my own patterns (which I am not sure I am ready to do)?

LatteLady Mon 27-May-13 21:53:04

Yes and yes. It will teach you to measure correctly and accurately to ensure that clothes fit... but yes, it will also teach you how to create your own.

Get in touch with the course leader and ask if they will cover adjusting commercial patterns, I am sure that they will.

I am very jealous of you... every course you take will add to your repertoire. smile

caffinequeen Mon 27-May-13 22:40:02

Thank you very much. I will try and get some more info (I don't think the tutors are the permanently, I assume they must teach elsewhere). I suppose the course will only help though even if they don't cover commercial patterns.... understanding how changes to the pattern affect the finished garment would be a start

It won't take much to expand my repertoire. ..Although I make a mean pillowcase if I do say so myself smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now