Talk

Advanced search

I have a sewing room (well corner!)

(12 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 27-May-13 18:37:21

Instead of my sewing & craft stuff being spread across 5 different storage places (causing massive hunting if I need something specific) I have reorganised some toy cupboards and streamlined the paper crat stuff.

To create a big cupboard and 6 shelves all for my sewing

& in unpacking I found a dress I made last year abandoned mid project to do something for DD.....all it needs is neck facing and it will be finished

I am so chuffed!

amazingmumof6 Mon 27-May-13 20:01:36

well done!
I'm jelaous envy

I'm in the middle of major tidying spree - I have sewing, beading, jewellery making and baking paraphenelia in various places.

bought ingredients to make bathbombs and have lots of other crafting bits.

I would love a studio so I can put all these things in one place.

so what's the dress like?

KatyMac Mon 27-May-13 20:10:00

Just a sundress

Long with no sleeve - a Maxi I guess; based on a dress I got from Dorothy Perkins last year (2yrs ago?) with bids of paradise on

StarfishEnterprise Mon 27-May-13 20:35:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyMac Mon 27-May-13 20:38:42

Nope I use the sleeping room for my mindees

The table is the table used for after school activities - I have the floor for cutting out

But it is all together.....in one place

StarfishEnterprise Mon 27-May-13 20:50:16

KatyMac Mon 27-May-13 20:53:29

Well it's OK for the material not so hot on my back

We have ceramic tiles with a bit of texture so it doesn't slip too much

I have been known to use the kitchen table to cut smaller patterns

KatyMac Mon 27-May-13 21:43:01

Now it's mostly unpacked & on shelves

I can't believe how many unfinished projects there are.....never mind how many non-started ones sad

What do you think the smallest scrap of material I should keep should be?

StarfishEnterprise Mon 27-May-13 21:46:37

amazingmumof6 Tue 28-May-13 15:17:43

KatyMac do a lot of patchwork, so all the off cuts are cut up.

from any given scrap I cut the widest possible strip and collect them in bags for 1", 1.5 ", 2", 2.5" and so on strips up to 5".
I don't worry about the lengths, but cut them straight, ready for sewing.

Anything bigger than that goes in to my 5"+ patches box.

then every now and then I saw a bunch of strips into a long roll (like jelly roll) si I end up with long patchwork strips in widths of 1", 1.5 " and so on.

then I randomly sew these rolls together until I have a large piece of fabric to make something else out of.

I keep everything. the smallest piece I use for sewing is 1"x1".

Anything smaller (I call them chips) are used for other crafts - typically the kids glue them on paper to make cards - or I use them to stuff toys.

In fact I have a large heart shaped pillow with a zip - I store the fabric chips inside it (instead of a bag) and just take some out when needed.

amazingmumof6 Tue 28-May-13 15:21:25

I cut up some old jeans into strips as well and made a beautiful bag for my mum.

I have loads left and will make a large swimming bag for us.

I cut everything on my cutting mat on the dining room table.
I haven't made clothes yet, but want to, so I bought a gorgeous Fiskars Taylor's scissors - they are fantastic, cut through the thick "joints" of jeans like paper!

KatyMac Tue 28-May-13 19:56:25

Noooooo! I don't have time for that.....DD is what I call a 'committed child' & I spend my life ferrying her around - I hardly ever have time to sew!!

& I think you are over estimating the size of my corner.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now