Talk

Advanced search

Fabric paint that properly works?

(10 Posts)
harryhausen Mon 27-May-13 15:32:13

I've come up with 4 designs for cushions. It's hard to explain but they're not a repeat pattern. More like a handrawn illustration on fabric.

I've been looking into getting fabric printed digitally, but I'm not sure I need this. I would like to ideally create each design my hand on different colours. This would make each cushion individual and unique. Even if I made more of them.

So is professionally printed fabric the way to go, or is there really really professional fabric paint out there that will fix properly and withstand wash upon wash?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 27-May-13 16:20:54

Have you seen Spoonflower? here it is a site where you upload designs and then they print it for you on fabric...it's not that cheap but it's FABULOUS. I use it. You can buy just a metre or less of your own design and there are various fabric choices to choose from.

harryhausen Mon 27-May-13 16:28:31

Ah yes Neo, I was looking at that. Good to know they're good. I didn't realise I could order a meter at a time. I thought I'd have to order a lot of a design that's a pattern. Like I said, what I want to do is more of a square 'illustration' than a design.

Maybe that's the way to go? X

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 27-May-13 16:29:25

You can do panel designs for cushions...have a look at the spoonflower flickr group. Spoonflower often have competitions for panel designs too.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 27-May-13 16:30:43

Play about with the design programme on the site..upload your picture and have an experiment. You can change "repeats" and size so you could have two panels side by side running the length of your fabric...a metre would provide 6 panels maybe if the cushions were small. 4 if they were big.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 27-May-13 16:32:07

panel fabric

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 27-May-13 16:32:59

more panel fabric You can upload sketches, paintings...I did one which was a collage of tissue paper.

harryhausen Mon 27-May-13 17:18:09

Thanks Neo. Really helpful.

What I want is to be able to have a 'face' (eyes mouth etc) on the front of my cushion and have a drawn 'texture' on the rest of face and back of cushion. I'm guessing I should use a 4 panel, with the face on one edge. I'm not explaining this well! grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 27-May-13 22:38:24

2 panels per cushion surely...if they are square? One part of the design on the front...ie the face and the hair or whatever on the back.

harryhausen Tue 28-May-13 08:40:01

Yes Neo. My duh brain strikes againgrin Def 2 panels x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now