Talk

Advanced search

Bias binding ..... Am I right in thinking it should be folded over?

(8 Posts)
2sugarsandadog Sun 26-May-13 11:53:18

Bought some (not inexpensive) stuff from Ebay. Lovely fabrics ... but ... I've got 12 metres of fabric strip, cut on the bias, that I can't find a use for because, well, it's just a strip of fabric cut on the bias. Would you ask about sending it back or chalk it up to experience?

2sugarsandadog Sun 26-May-13 12:18:48

Or should I just try and aim to get a life? grin

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-May-13 12:23:16

Was it advertised as bias binding? What was the description? Have you got any use for bias binding? Could you sell it on?
Yes, bb is folded over. Can be used to finish off hems, add a nice conrasting edge to something or made into ties for, for example, a wrap dress, apron etc. Or <whispers> bunting!

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-May-13 12:24:37

I'm sewing this afternoon, so perhaps we should both get a life? Perhaps I could make one out of bias binding?! <grin>

2sugarsandadog Sun 26-May-13 14:29:12

Yes that's what I wanted it for elquinto - finishing off a hem. But I've got a strip of fabric instead which I could - ahem - quite easily have cut myself. And I don't have a bias binding machine. And it was advertised as bias binding. Ooooh I'm confused now. No folds but cut on the bias = strip of fabric cut on the bias. Folded towards the middle and cut on the bias = bias binding. No?

Could you possibly use bias binding without folds in it to make your life? Perhaps we could come to a deal! grin

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-May-13 14:44:11

Bias binding: fold down the middle (long-ways), iron, then open it out and fold edges to meet the iron-line. Then you can slot your material into it and use that instead of hemming.
I have a sneaky way of making bias binding: do you have a skinny craft knife you could re-purpose? (One of those pen-sized, skinny ones): take out knife part, fold tape into he leftover plastic 'sheath' and pull through while ironing flat grin
Not sure what to make this aftetnoon, don't want to mend stuff <yawn>
What is your next project?

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-May-13 14:50:39

Can't link on phone, but google: make bias binding craft knife and open the first link, should be jeansmuse.blogspot.com saves a lot of time and cheap as chips smile

LatteLady Mon 27-May-13 21:16:46

You can buy a bias binding nib for about a fiver... measure the width of your binding and take away 1/2" (1/4" for each side) and that will give you the size of nib you need. Thread it through the nib and under your iron and it will be done really quickly. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now