Talk

Advanced search

Is £25 for a retro sewing machine a good deal? I'm a sewing virgin!

(5 Posts)
pickledparsnip Wed 22-May-13 19:18:24

Passed a charity shop in town earlier and they had a Crown Point sewing machine for sale for £25. It is old (the case looks quite old, possibly 70s) it looks very simple and robust and has been pat tested and it is in full working order. The chap had no idea what to ask, but settled on £25.

I haven't sewn anything since I was a child on an old Singer. I would like to start properly and can't afford a new one. I like the idea of an old one as they seem more simplistic.

Does it sound like a good one to get?

pickledparsnip Wed 22-May-13 19:59:46

Bump

elQuintoConyo Wed 22-May-13 20:07:17

For that price, how could you go wrong? Could you ask them to plug it in for you, to check it works? Does it come with spare needles? You could google it and see if you can find an online manual (unless it's too old). Perhaps you could take it along to a sewing group and someone could guide you on how to use it/what goes where/how the thread etc.
Good luck!

DeafLeopard Wed 22-May-13 20:46:48

IME and from advice on here old machines are usually better made than the new ones. Old machines tended to have metal parts which make them heavy and robust whereas a lot of newer ones have plastic parts.

It won't hurt it to have a service - not difficult there are tutorials on youtube - mainly brushing out the dust and oiling the moving parts.

I reckon for £25 you got yourself a bargain.

pickledparsnip Fri 24-May-13 12:33:52

Thanks for the input! I bought it, just got to figure out how to use it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now