Talk

Advanced search

Knitted baby hat help

(7 Posts)
Purlywhites Mon 20-May-13 12:42:51

So I have finished the hat but I'm left with 9 stitches on the needle. The pattern says to break yarn and feed through stitches then Seam. it doesn't say bind off but it will look silly if I do.
Would feeding yarn through the remaining stitches just make it unravel? I'm worried i'll ruin my hat, it's so lovely.

Stick the end of the yarn through a blunt needle, feed it through the stitches, twice and pull tight, then weave the end into the inside of the hat. It won't usually come undone.

Actually just spotted the seam bit - I would leave a long tail to do the above then use the same piece of yarn to do the seam. So it's pulling the hat tight around the top then goes down the seam. I would use mattress stitch for the seam.

Purlywhites Mon 20-May-13 12:49:45

Ok thanks i'll YouTube that now. My sewing is dreadful. (I don't know what mattress is).

Learn to knit in the round! Honestly, you will be converted. I am shit at sewing too. Was scared of knitting in the round for ages.

But now - totally converted, it just needs a bit of practice. Just a set of DPNs for baby hats, very quick, no seam at the end.

Purlywhites Mon 20-May-13 16:03:48

I'm scared of DPN and knitting in the round, I haven't found an easy to follow/understand video yet. I would love to learn though!

KnitStitchSewBlog Mon 20-May-13 16:23:24

Hiya, you need to pull your long 'end' of yarn through the nine stitches on your needle to close the hole. Pull it really tight and then weave in the ends. You should have a lovely hat at the end of it! smile

Purlywhites Mon 20-May-13 16:46:11

I have done the hat, the seaming isn't perfect but I'm happy with it.
I'm going to try circular needles next (even though it still needs seaming) it looks a doddle.
I also did 4 row stripes which I just learned (I'm proud, silly as it sounds) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now