Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - sewing novice

(6 Posts)
MillyMollyMandy78 Sun 19-May-13 16:38:19

I have just used my sewing machine for the first time to make a cushion cover. Quite happy with the results actually.

I sewed the seams with the fabric inside out. I then turned it right way round and inserted cushion pad. When it was the right way round i could see some of the thread from the stitches showing theough on the seams. I think this is because the thread was a bit too loose. Is this a problem with the thread tension? Hope this makes sense.

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Sun 19-May-13 16:40:19

Could be, or the stitches were to long or it's to tight a fit (but I'm a novice too)

MillyMollyMandy78 Sun 19-May-13 16:54:23

Thanks, it is definately not too tight a fit. Don't mean to sound stupid but how would i know if the stitches were too long?

CorrieDale Sun 19-May-13 16:57:39

It's a tension issue. Time to get out the manual!

soaccidentprone Sun 19-May-13 17:06:15

Turn your cushion cover inside out again. Now look at the stitches. They should each be about 3mm and the threads should lay flat on the fabric, and both sides should look even/identical.

If your stitches are too long you could get 'gaping' between the stitches. If the tension is wrong you will have more thread on one side than the other.

There should be a tension adjuster which is a wheel numbered 1 to 10. The indicates the differing tensions between the top thread and the bottom thread.

Also for cushion and covers to get that lovely 'stuffed' effect you should buy a pad bigger than the cushion ie for a 20 inch cover you'd buy a 22 inch cushion pad.

Hope this all makes sense?

MillyMollyMandy78 Sun 19-May-13 17:57:01

Thanks - turned cover inside out again and looks like the stitches are too long. Definately gaping. Great tip about using a larger cushion pad - i have some more covers to make so will definately use this tip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now