Talk

Advanced search

Want to make a simple blind for the bathroom ........

(7 Posts)
catwithflowers Fri 17-May-13 16:30:34

Would this actually work do you think? It would be very cheap as I wouldn't even have to buy a roller blind kit, just fabric and a few bits of ribbon and dowel. Opinions ladies please?

simple blind

catwithflowers Fri 17-May-13 16:31:49

Sorry, I should add I don't need the blind to move up and down. It is decorative rather than for privacy. Thanks smile

flubba Sat 18-May-13 14:18:02

What's the ribbon for? To tie together to keep the blind up? If you don't need to move the blind at all, I would probably dispense with the ribbon and just cut the fabrics to the length you want it to hang.

I'd say go for it - and if it ends up looking crap, you've only sewn the edges of the fabric and spent a few quid on a dowel, so you can always re-use all of those things on another project.

catwithflowers Sat 18-May-13 17:16:59

Hi flubba, well I made the blind today and whilst it doesn't look crap, it doesn't look fabulous either. The fabrics don't hang well (my sewing I'm sure!). I bought the ribbons to roll it up and it does actually need the extra weight otherwise it would just flap around grin

My side edges aren't completely straight so I was thinking of sewing on a bias binding in the same colour as the main fabric which would also make it feel a bit more sturdy. My son looked at it and said "it's okay but not the best thing you've come up with so far" blush Will leave it up overnight and see if I can live with it in the morning. And the bloody thing took hours, not the 1 hour promised by the website!!!!

catwithflowers Sat 18-May-13 17:17:40

It may end up being my next patchwork quilt!!!!

flubba Sat 18-May-13 22:32:10

Well, well done for giving it a go at least. If you can get hold of quite a wide bias binding, you could probably fix the look of the wonky edges too.

These things always take longer the first time - I love the honesty of your son though ~ how old is he?

catwithflowers Sun 19-May-13 04:11:37

17. He felt really bad and apologised for being a little blunt smile I think the wide bias binding will smarten it up a little and i know my local sewing shop have it in stock. Maybe my expectations were too high. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now