Talk

Advanced search

My crochet looks loose and messy.

(11 Posts)

Does this mean I am using the wrong size hook? I am using double knit yarn, and a 5mm hook, because that looks like the right size of actual hook to grab the yarn, if you see what I mean (I don't actually know which hook sizes to use for which yarns).

I have managed to follow the patterns in my crochet books, and learn some new things, but it doesn't look that good, because it is all loose and baggy.

FrebbieMisaGREATshag Thu 16-May-13 22:04:42

I thought it was the same as knitting and you needed a 4mm hook for DK? But I don't really crochet, I'll ask my Mum tomorrow she is the crochet queen she runs a crochet club every Tuesday

bluecarrot Thu 16-May-13 22:10:08

I've used a 4 - 5.5 on dk yarn. I just use whatever the pattern or tutorial tells me! When you are crocheting, are the loops pretty tight? I'm relatively new so don't know all terminology but I do know that of the initial chain is loose or the individual chains are different sizes then the whole project looks odd!

You can buy a set of hooks pretty cheap on eBay - I got a set of 10 for £3 plus p&p.

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 16-May-13 22:16:27

Oh no SDTG - you have joined the growing ranks of loose hookers grin

Freddie is right. The correlation between hook size, knitting needle size and yarn thickness is the same. 4mm hook, 4mm needles and DK yarn is about right. There is some wiggle room for getting tension right, though.

The loops are quite loose, unless I really concentrate on making them tighter - so I will concentrate more, and will search out a 4mm hook - I have a set of hooks I got off ebay, so I should have a 4mm one - I just have to excavate it from the depths of my knitting bag!

Many thanks for the advice!

FrebbieMisaGREATshag Thu 16-May-13 22:18:15

Loose hooker grin

Oh how much fun I'm going to have with mother tomorrow ....

Dh is going to laugh like a drain when I tell him MN say I am a loose hooker!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 16-May-13 23:13:58

Yeah you haven't got your tension right, loose hooker.

Try chunky wool with a 6mm hook, worked better for me.

EdwiniasRevenge Thu 16-May-13 23:20:44

I use a 3.5mm hook with DK. Most yarns will tell you what size hook to use with their yarn. I agree that it is the same as you would use to knit.

The other trick is to keep your yarn that you are going to hook through taut. I end up wrapping around my hand several time and as I release some to work with wrap again.

Personally I try to keep my foundation chain loose but work quite tight after.

shameless plug for my little owl on my profile that took me a couple of hours this evening

--

That owl is very cute indeed, EdwiniasRevenge. I will try to take some pictures of my 'orrible loose crochet tomorrow, and put them on my profile.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 17-May-13 08:51:01

I think it's like knitting, after some practice you find your natural tension and then adjust your needle size accordingly, so if your a loose hooker grin then go down a hook size and see if that gives a better effect. As others have said, dk wool and 4mm hook usually work quite well smile

EdwinasRevenge, I love your owl, I made some for a blanket for dd3 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now