Talk

Advanced search

Knitting question

(9 Posts)
FluffyDucky Mon 13-May-13 19:45:25

Hi all, I have decided to give knitting a go and am getting the hang of it!
I am following instructions in a book for a pair of baby bootiees and I am on the last part of it. It says to repeat row 1 33 times, this row needs to be K33, psso etc. turn
However I have exactly 33 knits on the row so no more to psso and turn etc..
Should I just knit 33 stitches then sew the booties up? I've already unpicked it and restarted it once, I don't think I can face starting again, again!

oo00PIXIE00oo Mon 13-May-13 20:45:52

Yes you just K 33 rows then sew up x

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 13-May-13 21:25:22

repeat row 1 33 times, this row needs to be K33, psso etc. turn
This is two seperate instructions.
repeat row 1 33 times means knit 33 rows.
* this row needs to be K33, psso etc. turn* is the pattern for the row.
Did you write the instructions here exactly as it says on the pattern, if not, do, and we can translate.

FluffyDucky Mon 13-May-13 21:37:19

Straight from the book (was going from bad memory earlier lol) rep row 1 20 times, cast off in rib.
Row 1 = k33, sl1, k1, psso turn. however I have exactly 33 knits so no more room to slip or psso.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 13-May-13 21:48:53

You have gone wrong somewhere. You need 35 stitches to complete that line. Sorry. You need to backtrack and try to find out where.

mablemurple Mon 13-May-13 21:52:12

I think you have made a mistake in an earlier row, but I don't really understand the instructions. You need 35 stitches to work this row 20 times, but on every row you are decreasing by one stitch, so it's just not possible. Also, your instructions say cast off in rib, but you are knitting every stitch, not ribbing, Are there any instructions you have missed out? You can't really knit straight for 20 rows because the booties would not be shaped correctly.

FluffyDucky Mon 13-May-13 21:57:30

Argfh. Thank you! The instructions can be quite hard to follow, and some of the last few rows needed to decrease some!
This is my first project ( I was feeling so proud off myself) I think I'll just finish this off & move into another book I have.
I was hoping to have a pair of booties to show for when I announce in 2 weeks I'm expecting, at this rate I'll be lucky to have some for the birth! envy

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 13-May-13 22:14:14

Aah, I missed that! In order to knit straight, you need an increase in there too. How does the bootee knit up? Do you knit the leg first then work the foot, or the foot first and finidh with the leg?

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 14-May-13 08:51:34

Row 1 = k33, sl1, k1, psso turn, this is a decrease row so your work should have 1 st less on each row and as saggy says you should have 35 st on your needle to start row 1, so row 2 would start with 34 st, k32, sl1, k1, psso, row 3 would start with 33 st, k31, sl1, k1, psso etc. This would look like the start of a triangular shape, is that right? If you're not starting row 1 with 35 sts then you've gone wrong earlier in the pattern, you may be able to fudge it a bit by knitting 2 rows straight with no decrease and then start decreasing depending on which part of the boot you're working? It's a bit hard to tell without a little more info grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now