Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know where I can source custom made nappies.

(20 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Mon 13-May-13 14:24:05

So far I have found plenty of places that will customise pattern etc but what I need is a nappy that is 7cms bigger on one side.

NOT I repeat NOT a larger size nappy, a tailor made nappy that will fit a long skinny wee girl who happens to need it larger on one side!

It needs to have extending poppers (like the birth to potty ones) so it can grow with her as she may be in nappies for an extended period of time.

It needs to be Velcro fastening at the waist (for ease of strapping a wriggler in)

It needs to not be a two part system ( because I would rather follow her round with a bucket) but all in one or pocket are fine.

I realise these are rather precise requirements but I'm willing to pay through the nose for them to stop my poor wee girl stinking of wee and poo because her ill fitting nappy leaks and getting so sore between her bump and her bum that it bleeds sad

So far, after much trawling, I was referred onto one woman who they said might vary the size. I have been chasing her for 3 weeks with no call backs and she keeps saying about the bigger size.

When I gave her the measurements she gasped and said "oh your the one with the kid with spina bifida!" angry

And now I'm supposed to be waiting for the email I sent her to come through hmm then she'll call me.

Tbh I just want to find someone else sad

zzzzz Mon 13-May-13 18:50:12

Post on the sewing board here, someone will make them for you probably for time and materials costs.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/arts_and_crafts

HerrenaHarridan Mon 13-May-13 20:04:56

Good thinking, I'll ask hq to move this. smile

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 20:30:16

Hello OP
We have now moved this from our Special Needs chat boards to the arts and crafts board for you
Best
MNHQ

raisinggirls Mon 13-May-13 20:35:54

Obviously I don't know if this is the woman you have already tried, but this lady makes nappies and might help? Poor DD, I hope you have some luck.

DeafLeopard Wed 15-May-13 21:22:42

It is a long time since I used them but Minki nappies were fabulously helpful and seem to do a bespoke service

DeafLeopard Wed 15-May-13 21:23:15

shock and angry at the reply by the person you tried.

SizzleSazz Wed 15-May-13 21:25:26

OP I have messaged my friend who runs a bespoke sewing company - hopefully she might be able to help

Good luck with your search. x

tutu100 Wed 15-May-13 21:28:16

Did you know you can get nappy extenders? These are just strips of poppers that fit most poppered nappies I wonder if they would be any good for you and you would be able to just put one on the side you needed it.

This is a link to show a picture of them here. They are the 2nd picture down. I think I may have a couple hanging around still. If I can find them I would be happy to send them to you if you wanted to try them.

StrangeGlue Wed 15-May-13 21:28:46

I seem to remember finding nappy patterns on the web. But could you just take a nappy and your list to a seamstress? It doesn't sound tricky for a professional to make - they make wedding dresses!

tutu100 Wed 15-May-13 21:29:38

Sorry just reread your reqirements and saw that you need them to be velcro round the waist. Obviously these extenders won't help in that case but if you have poppered round the waist nappies they will.

bluecarrot Wed 15-May-13 21:31:53

I highly highly recommend minki nappies too.

I had some ( not custom made) from her for my dd who is now 10. I think the fact she's still going is a great indicator smile plus she has been lovely and chatty any time I've emailed her. I kept the nappies in case I have another - all generic ones were sold on.

poocatcherchampion Wed 15-May-13 21:34:52

I might recommend you post on the nappies board as lots of people get hand made nappies (more for fashion purposes but I'm sure they can make different sizes as they are very skilled).

I think wee notions might be somewhere to start, also I'm on a fb group for preloved nappies where you could post. finally the natural mamas website forums could probably find you someone too. I hope that is some help?

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 15-May-13 21:37:00

I made my own custom nappies as my sons were very long and very thin.

I still have the patterns somewhere could dig them out and write instructions. Made them myself on a domestic machine. Poppers etc can be hard to put in but I used a nappy nipper which makes the nappies very adjustable indeed.

Not sure how the pm system works here but if you can message me we can work it out, I can trace my pattern and it would be easy to mark places to extend.

My sons are 7 and 8 now but I can't part with my lovely bespoke nappies, for one thing I designed them to have lots of layers in the gusset but only one layer in the elasticAted parts so no bulky parts for quick drying.

All the edges are bound with special fold over elastic which at the time I had to buy from America but now you can buy it on eBay uk. I used cut uproar nappies and old bathtowells so they were very economical.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 15-May-13 21:38:15

That should say I used cut up flat nappies, bloody iPad causing the uproar!

SizzleSazz Wed 15-May-13 22:39:21

OP, I have PM'd you smile

HerrenaHarridan Wed 15-May-13 23:06:13

Thank you all!

Brilliant suggestions, I'm a bit scared of making them myself, generally in quite up for that kind of thing, but I find the prospect very daunting.
It would feel great though to see her wee bum crawling around in nappy I had made. I will have a look the the pattern though and see about doing a test run.

Thanks for the offer of extenders, but your right they wont work with my velcro nappies. I am getting a bit of extension by having one birth to potty popper undone but really she needs more width rather than length so its better but not goodsad
To be honest she's still got loads of waist room the tabs still meet in the middle but of course if I loosen them off then the leg holes get bigger.

I will follow up the links and check your pm when I'm at the computer as for some reason idiot phone only wants me to read the first 5 words angry

RueDeWakening Wed 15-May-13 23:07:51

Can't link now as I'm in hospital waiting for dc3 to arrive in the morning, but marking place to remind me to dig out links for you - I know quite a few people who make nappies and may be able to help.

RueDeWakening Wed 22-May-13 22:24:15

Sorry for the delay, I'm now home with a 6 day old DS grin

Michaela from www.minkinappies.co.uk/index may be able to help. She does custom orders.

RueDeWakening Thu 23-May-13 11:05:40

And another FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Made.with.special.care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now