Talk

Advanced search

Help and advice on making butterfly wings for DDs fancy dress?

(13 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 13:03:20

She wants to be a butterfly....it's for a school thing where they have to be an insect. She likes pictures of this type and I've forgotten their name!

Anyway...I am a good painter and will easily replicate the patterns and be able to shape the wings...I've googled various ways of achieving this and many people seem to use thin black fabric stretched over wire....but I really don't want to go down that route...I was hoping to think of some sort os stuff which is easy to cut out but firm and hardwearing enough to withstand a 5 year old flying all day.

I also need to paint them easily...I thought of thick card but that's too bendable really...

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 13:05:10

I should add...I don't plan on making HUGE wings...just big enough that you will be able to see part of them from the front...A because I don't want to spend hours on them and B becase DD has expressly requested that they are not "ginormous" or she'll "Not be able to sit down right." grin

InMySpareTime Mon 13-May-13 13:11:22

The Usborne "Fairy things to make and do" book has instructions for fairy wings made from cardboard covered with papier mâché then painted, secured with ribbons. Would that work?

SneakyBiscuitEater Mon 13-May-13 13:12:04

I know you said you didn't want wire but we have done cheap wire coat hangers bent into shape with a pair if opaque tights stretched over them and 'stuff' gluegunned on. You can do two hangers or four if you want more realistic looking wings. We did a sort of figure 8 with ribbon that was fixes to where the hanging loops came together so the wings were worn like a backpack.

Cost me nothing as I had some skengy tights in the back of the wardrobe and a box of sequins and crafty bits for gluegunning on.

You could do heavy fabric glued onto cardboard backing on both sides to make it look pretty and give stability?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 13:24:28

InMySpare....why do they add papier mache do you think? What would be wrong with just card?

Sneaky...I really want them to be solid colour...not opaque like tights and I want to paint them as I'll get a nicer finish I reckon...the sticking fabric to card would possibly make them stronger though...I'll think about that thanks!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 14:20:27

Just had a thought...what about Buckram? I called our local habidashery and they stock white buckram in ten inch wide rolls....be the metre. I could buy 4 metres? Ten inches should be wide enough to get a decentish wing...I'll do 4 separate wings and attach them to one set of "arm hooks" probably elastic...what think you lot?

InMySpareTime Mon 13-May-13 14:36:55

The papier mâché seems to be there to strengthen the wings, it's tissue paper, glue and glitter, so makes them a bit water resistant, more sturdy, and shimmery.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 15:06:04

That makes sense Spare...I suppose PVA glue will provide some water resistance....do you think, if I went with this one that I could do the papier mache..let dry, then paint. And after the paint has dried, cover it in PVA glue which dries clear? It might act as a barrier incase of water or moisture?

InMySpareTime Mon 13-May-13 15:54:39

That would work. If you're pressed for time, you can mix paint and PVA, and effectively do them at the same time. Glitter is best sprinkled on while glue/paint is still wet.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 16:29:34

Thanks for the tips Pressed! I think I'll get sequins too!

PlumSykes Mon 13-May-13 16:34:04

I think I'd be inclined to buy some ready made wings, and paint them with fabric paint. Something like these

sooperdooper Mon 13-May-13 16:36:00

Tbh, much as I love crafts I'd be tempted to get some from the pound shop! They always seem to have them in poundland smile

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 16:38:07

Not in the pattern DD wants Sooper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now