Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What fabric am I looking for?

(10 Posts)
badchat Thu 09-May-13 12:21:25

So (inspired by GBSB obvs!) I am trying to start sewing some clothes for myself, and have started by attempting to make a vest by copying one I already own and love. So far I am halfway through making a prototype out of some flimsy cotton fabric from an old dress, and as it is working ok, want to get some nice fabric to make a proper one.

The original is a bit like this - scoop neck, quite loose fitting, and is in a kind of matte shiny fabric (if that makes sense?) which hangs nicely and doesn't need ironing.

So do I just want polyester, as the one above is? (and I think my original is) If so, can anyone point me in the direction of nice colours/patterned polyester? Or is there an alternative that will also give me a nice drapy, non-crumply look?

Thank you!

KurriKurri Thu 09-May-13 16:43:07

I think what you probably want is polyester or a crepe de chine - both will drape (make sure you have a fine needle on your machine though as they can snag when sewing)

Here's a link to Fabricland - which usually has a reasonable choice, although some of their fabrics are a bit lairy! - might give you and idea of the type of thing you want anyway (click on polyesters and crepe de chines down the side) - warning their website is brighter than the sun grin - seriously you need to click off the home page quick or you'll get a migraine grin

KurriKurri Thu 09-May-13 16:54:39

Abakhan is good site too - they have a good selection of polyesters, - you might want to look the satins too on there.

LittleBells Thu 09-May-13 21:18:22

Kurri has made some excellent recommendations there for online fabrics.

Could you also make a trip out to a fabric shop to get a look and feel for fabrics you like? You will make a far better choice if you see it, even very experienced fabric purchasers get caught out buying fabric online <ahem> <tries not to remember the beautiful crimson red pure wool that was better described as flaming sunset orange in reality...)

KurriKurri Thu 09-May-13 21:36:09

absolutely agree with LittleBells - it's very hard to really tell what a fabric is like and how it drapes from a photo, if you can I would second going to a fabric shop and having a feel (!)

badchat Fri 10-May-13 18:30:59

Brilliant thank you both.!

Yes that website is rather dazzling :-) but both great for browsing (as I have no idea what colour/pattern I'd like though the choice is quite overwhelming.)

I'm in London so there are plenty of fabric shops it's just finding the time. Agree it would be better if poss - esp for testing colours against myself.

Thanks for reminder about needle also - have never actually changed needle on my machine so will have to work out how to do that.

LatteLady Sat 11-May-13 20:27:46

And when you have made the first one, then onto silk with french seams and tissue paper!

Startail Sat 11-May-13 20:32:09

When you get really good, save up and make one out of Liberty's amazing £££££ a metre silk. A vest is about anyone could ever afford.

badchat Mon 13-May-13 10:17:42

I have some beautiful silk! Bought it years ago when in Bangladesh, and haven't done anything with it as it is patiently waiting for when I am experienced enough not to destroy it the minute it meets the sewing machine. Fear it will be waiting a while yet - french seams and tissue paper sounds terribly exotic and exciting to my novice ears! One day...

Startail Mon 13-May-13 16:10:27

I have some from China town inSan Fransisco bought 17 years ago and I haven't dared touch it.

I've made silk ball dress, but this is such a small bit there is no room for mistakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now