Talk

Advanced search

Learning how to draft pattern

(8 Posts)
TheYoniExpress Sat 04-May-13 09:53:38

Anyone got any tips for learning how to draft a pattern properly, with French curves and everything?

Also recommendations for any books/ courses?

At the moment I trace round an existing garment and fudge it, but would like to be all fancy pants and do it properly

reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 04-May-13 15:36:36

Try your local adult learning centre. I did a fashion pattern cutting course a couple of years ago and it was fab

TheYoniExpress Sat 04-May-13 17:35:29

I've had a look at local adult ed providers but nothing that specific... just general dressing which i don't need.

I am in London suburbs so if anyone knows any courses in London / surrey borders I'd be keen to know of them...

TheYoniExpress Sat 04-May-13 17:35:53

*dressmaking

InMySpareTime Sat 04-May-13 18:29:11

I have a book called "pattern cutting made easy" (ISBN 978-1-84994-073-3) from the library which shows the shapes you need to cut, with measurements like "A is the length from shoulder to wrist" etc to help fit to odd shapes.

Kernowgal Sat 04-May-13 21:30:26

Just been looking into this myself, Guildford might be a bit far for you Yoni but Surrey CC does a 10-week course there. It started in mid-April but I imagine they'll run another one in September.

TheYoniExpress Sun 05-May-13 11:25:28

Ooh very handy thanks. Will check out the book and also the surrey cc course. Ta v much

The Craftsy website runs online courses, I've not tried them but they might be worth a go.

I had a look and there is one designing type one though not sure it's quite what you're after. I'm just waiting for another offer on the knitting ones and I'm going to sign up for something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now