Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Roman socks

(7 Posts)
RiaOverTheRainbow Sun 21-Apr-13 20:12:56

I've recently joined a Roman reenactment group, and when they found out I knit everyone wanted me to make them socks as it's hard to get hold of authentic ones. I blithely agreed to make them loads (and earn a few pennies with it if I'm lucky) but can I find a pattern?

The best link I've found tells me the Romans didn't even knit, they used 'naalbinding' which seems to be a sort of crochet. Can anyone give me any tips on it, or finding authentic patterns?

Here's a picture if anyone's interested.

riskit4abiskit Sun 21-Apr-13 21:47:53

You could phone the vindolanda tourist site and ask there, its famous for all the shoes they found so maybe the archeologists might know?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 21-Apr-13 21:48:12

Instructions on Naalbinding socks

That's the best thing I've written all day!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 21-Apr-13 21:49:38

Lot's of things on it here on Craftster too

tribpot Sun 21-Apr-13 21:55:12

Have you thought about tweeting Mary Beard? Seriously - the woman will know the answer to the question if anyone does!

I'm assuming you came across this article which refers to crossed knitting or single-needle knitting. This has a video on it - which looks to correspond to Neo's naalbinding link.

RiaOverTheRainbow Sun 21-Apr-13 22:25:57

Thanks everyone! I hadn't thought to look for videos, that definitely helps, and great idea about asking the experts.

Now I think it looks like making friendship bracelets with a needle, which is less daunting grin

tribpot Sun 21-Apr-13 22:48:29

Yes, I'm quite intrigued by it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now