Talk

Advanced search

Please come and tell me all there is to know about dressmakers dummies (embarassing reveal about waist size contained within)

(6 Posts)
bran Sat 20-Apr-13 11:40:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 20-Apr-13 22:39:06

don't think about what your dress size is, just work with your actual measuremrnts.

make your dummy those measurements (you can use fabric to pad it out if you need to) and work to that.

it's quite easy with practice to adjust pattens to your size if you are working on a dummy.
just trace the pieces and move the bits around on the dummy.
you don't need too expensive a dummy, just make sure you get the bigger one.
this kind of thing but you can usually get them cheap secondhand.

bran Sun 21-Apr-13 14:56:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Potterer Sun 21-Apr-13 15:49:32

bran I am so glad someone asked a question about dressmaker's dummies because I have been thinking about getting one too.

<slight hijack> I too am an odd shape, I am a little chesty so if I buy something tailored then the front will obviously have to fit but the back is too big, and I also have a hollow at the base of my spine before my generous backside sticks out

In the past my lovely Mum has altered stuff for me but sadly she died a few years ago so now I just buy things in stretchy material so that I can stretch out the front.

Would I have to pad out the boob area at the front? Will I have to measure my front to the side, then my back to the side and go from there?

I have been looking at the dressmaker's dummies that have the most adjustments on them. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Like bran I don't know if my body is longer than average or not.

AltogetherAndrews Sun 21-Apr-13 16:20:42

You could try making one based on your own measurements! here

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this. Looks doable though.

UniqueAndAmazing Sun 21-Apr-13 21:49:30

the one I've got you can lengthen the body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now