Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to hem Jersey Knit fabric?

(6 Posts)
OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 18-Apr-13 21:19:08

I have seen this to make for DD and think it looks fairly simple and effective - but she doesn't say if she hemmed it...it doesn't look like it?
Square Skirt
Also, what does a basting stitch icon look like on a sewing machine dial? I keep seeing it on blogs and don't want to do the wrong one!

Thanks in advance!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 22:01:40

I would say you do need to or it will curl...most jersey knits need a nice wide hem....at least 2 cm and then use a zig zag stitch. Don't pull the fabric at all...let the machine do the work.

If you're not fussy you could get away with no hem but it won't last as a garment.

That pattern would work with a cotton if it was light enough.

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 18-Apr-13 22:20:04

Thanks Neo - I did wonder and thought it might roll smile
I am looking forward to trying out a few things with this, and it's given me a few ideas for Halloween too! <advance planner me!>

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 18-Apr-13 22:21:52

I have some lovely part silk material that is very light. I may try that, but I seem to remember cutting it was a bit difficult - would a rotary cutter be easier for that?
Hijacking my own thread!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 22:35:55

It's a lovely pattern...I would try the silk...have you no sharp scissors? A rotary cutter would do the job...or V sharp scissors!

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 18-Apr-13 22:42:55

It just seemed to fray really badly and I had just sharpened the scissors! I may invest in a rotary cutter before I try again!
Looking for interesting patterned elastic now...proving difficult! Can you use folding elastic and, er, not fold it?
Thanks again Neo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now