Talk

Advanced search

Can I mix up different fabrics in a quilt?

(5 Posts)
HeadFairy Thu 18-Apr-13 15:00:16

I'm attempting my first big quilt and I've got some lovely blocks which I want to frame with a different fabric. The blocks are 100% cotton, would it be wrong to use a different fabric, like a silk to either create a border or to surround my blocks?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 15:12:54

I wouldn't. The stretch and shrink will be different in each fabric and that could mean it washes badly....resulting in gathers and wavy fabric.

HeadFairy Thu 18-Apr-13 16:32:21

I thought that might be the case... I wanted to introduce a little textural variety. Perhaps I should look for some cottons with an interesting finish instead.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 16:39:25

I wonder though...I mean Victorian Crazy Quilts were made up of all kinds of fabrics...but the pieces were small... like this

Tallyra Fri 19-Apr-13 08:15:21

with small bits of fabric the distortion isn't quite so much, but it would probably still need stabilising if you want to use silks. the other problem us that the silk isn't nearly as hard wearing so might tear quite easily. if you are after different texture around the outside, try a brushed cotton - much softer than normal cotton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now