Talk

Advanced search

Starting quilting - what do I do?!

(18 Posts)
AngryGnome Thu 18-Apr-13 07:11:48

First post in arts and crafts!

I have kept some of DS's baby clothes with the idea that I will use the fabric to make a quilt. It wil be the first tr I have tried quilting, but I have always fancied a go. Can anyone recommend a good how-to website or book? I'll probably need pretty simple/idiot-proof instructions!
Does anyone know if stretchy baby grow fabric can even be used for quilting?

Thank you smile

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Apr-13 07:18:10

Hi!

I am new to quilting myself, but a good tip is to keep it simple. Go for a simple square patchwork pattern than you can sew on a machine, rather than hand sewing pieces together.

I haven't sewn with stretchy fabric myself but I hear it is good to use a lightweight iron on interfacing with it to stop it stretching when you sew.

Loads of good blogs out there, better than the books.

this was my first ever quilt

It is really fun and addictive!

You need some wadding to pad it out, and fabric for the bottom layer of the quilt, and then you will need binding (doesn't have to be bias) to go around all the edges.

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Apr-13 07:18:41

You could also look on Pinterest for other people's baby quilts, there will be links to tutorials and step by step instructions there.

overmydeadbody Thu 18-Apr-13 07:23:52

nice simple idea for a quilt with old baby clothes

Here's one with nice easy instructions.

Tallyra Thu 18-Apr-13 11:41:24

Hi, I'm new to this topic but thought I'd say hello. I think it's a lovely idea and also second the iron on interfacing recommendation. I write (one) and follow a lot of blogs on blogspot, and there are loads of tutorials there for beginners. I would suggest a plain nine patch square is probably the most simple pattern as it doesn't involve triangles, just squares and sashing if you choose. Do you have a walking foot? that will be very helpful when you get to the quilting stage, especially if you have stretchy fabrics.

AngryGnome Thu 18-Apr-13 20:42:47

Oh my goodness, overmydeadbody that quilt is so beautiful - I think I have a long way to go, but I can see this becoming addictive! Thanks do much for the links, and for the interfacing advice - my main worry was using stretchy fabric so hopefully that tip will work.

Have you tried using appliqué on the squares? That was one of my ideas - using fabric squares in complementary colours, and then stitching little cut outs from some of the clothes onto the fabric square - of course, that means I will probably be making this quilt until at least 2033...!

Jaynebxl Fri 19-Apr-13 10:32:32

Oo this is exactly what I want to do. I've saved bits of various outfits of both of my children. However I want to do mine in a specific way and am not sure it will work. I want to make squares to join together, each with a piece of an outfit, bordered by strips of a plain fabric, possibly the same as I would use on the backing. Does this make sense? I want to really be able to see and remember each outfit. Not sure if I'm explaining it very well but for example I have an old summer dress of my daughter's which had butterflies appliquéd on it. I want to cut a square out and border it as one square of the quilt.

AngryGnome Fri 19-Apr-13 21:14:55

That sounds a far better way of doing it than my appliqué idea jayne

overmydeadbody Fri 19-Apr-13 22:47:34

Thank you AngryGnome!

Jayne that is possible amd will look lovely! So it would basicall be a little square inside a big sqauare for each block for the quilt!

Jaynebxl Fri 19-Apr-13 23:13:37

Yes that's a much simpler description than mine, over! Angry, we should keep this read as a support group for people making quilts out of their kids' clothes!

I wonder if it would be best to make strips for a border or to make a plain square and sew the outfit square on to it? Maybe that would just be extra work / a waste of fabric.

AngryGnome Sat 20-Apr-13 06:38:00

Loving the idea of a quilting support thread grin

I might try cutting out big squares and then sewing smaller squares on - I think with my current (lack of) skills, this would be less fiddly than trying to border each square.

What size squares would you use? Xx

AngryGnome Sat 20-Apr-13 06:39:57

I have no idea why I have put kisses at the end of my post - blame a sleepless night with the ToddlingGnome!

Jaynebxl Sat 20-Apr-13 07:23:18

I was thinking 8 inch squares total so maybe 6 inches of the outfit fabric then an inch border all round. Sorry, am metric except in quilt square sizes! Wondering if that will be too big though.

Can any experienced quilters tell us if there's any disadvantage to sewing the fabric square onto a plain square instead of just making borders?

And I'm sure the xx was just because you were feeling the quilting love!

Tallyra Sat 20-Apr-13 12:42:45

I'd say it would be more stable to applique onto plain squares than to put a border on them - less strain will be put on the inside square and hopefully it will last longer if you use a solid cotton as the base square.

Jaynebxl Sat 20-Apr-13 16:30:09

Good point Tallyra.

AngryGnome Sun 21-Apr-13 20:13:53

So, compiling my shopping list now!

I'm going to need some wadding, a large piece of backing fabric and then some squares in complementary colours (I'm thinking blues/purples) on to which I can appliqué some pretty designs from the baby clothes.

Right. Ready to begin then!

Still feeling the quilting love at the moment!

Jaynebxl Sun 21-Apr-13 21:17:19

Angry that sounds great. I've packed my stuff away waiting to move house next month but once I unpack it I will be joining you.

Tallyra Sun 21-Apr-13 21:38:02

Yep, sounds brilliant! I'm currently quilting a bit of gorgeous fabric to use to make a new hand bag - mine is falling apart...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now