Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine not moving! Help!

(7 Posts)
Daffssmellofwee Wed 17-Apr-13 19:48:35

I got my machine out today to do some sewing and it's not working. The motor is whirring but needle not moving. The bobbin threader is working fine.
It was working normally at last use. It has been stored on top of washing machine, do you think this could have affected it? (by the spin vibrations)
TIA

amazingmumof6 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:57:25

possibly, but first check the bobbin and bobbin case and clean out any lint you find.

if still nothing you need to get it serviced

Dutchoma Wed 17-Apr-13 20:01:00

I'm not quite sure what it is called, but there is a wheel inside the wheel that makes the machine go round. You loosen this to wind the bobbin. If that has come loose through the vibrations of the washing machine, all you need to do is tighten it.

Daffssmellofwee Thu 18-Apr-13 09:35:12

Thanks both, I have checked the bobbin case which is fine. I'm not too keen on taking the machine apart myself so will get someone to have a look!

Dutchoma Thu 18-Apr-13 11:02:11

No, I didn't mean you need to take the machine apart. When you wind the bobbin there is a bit in the wheel on the side that you unscrew, so that the needle doesn't go up and down. I wondered if that bit had come undone through the vibration and it would be very easy to check. You would undo it and do it up every time you wind the bobbin.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 20-Apr-13 22:49:36

tyrn the motor wheel by hand the ppposite way and back again.
sew something using your hand.

it should loosen it.
it happens to my machine sometimes and it's usually that the machine has slightly moved funny so it needs unjarring.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 20-Apr-13 22:51:40

yes, I know what oma means - it's the thing that holds the bobbin case together.
always worth tightening that first.
you should be able to lift the machine away from its case without taking anything apart to get to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now