Talk

Advanced search

would this be a good purchase? (sewing machine)

(4 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Wed 17-Apr-13 15:18:51

Novice quilter, but loving it and have a lot of great quilting plans. Advised to get a second hand machine and I came across this one www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/singer-domestic-sewing-machine-with-free-arm-price-greatly-reduced-as-i-need-the-space/1012260528#gallery-item-full-1
Singer 7104. What questions should I ask about it? confused
What do you think?

amazingmumof6 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:55:58

without looking at your link my advice is to definitely ask when it was last serviced and if it is in good working order - you don't want one that needs fixing!

Also for quilting you will need a walking foot (this costs anything from £10 - £30+ depending on machine) - you can't quilt without it as it is designed to help feed the layers of the quilt evenly

(walking foot definition: A walking foot is a special sewing machine presser foot with built-in feed dogs that grip and advance the upper layer of fabric as it travels through the sewing machine. The movement is in unison with the machine's feed dogs, which grip the underside of the fabric. The action of this special presser foot helps keep the layers from shifting apart as they move through the sewing machine.
A walking foot is essential for pucker-free, straight line machine quilting.)

If you want to take it to classes you might want to know how heavy it is to carry and that is not too fragile to transport (the ones that have digital program features don't like being moved around)

hope this helps!

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:41:55

It will also be about 30 years old (i have the same one) and Singers of that age are not as good as ones manufactured prior the 1970's.

I would not pay £75 for it.

DeafLeopard Sat 20-Apr-13 18:50:25

You could get a brand new one with two years guarantee for not much more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now