Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Washing fabric before using it.

(6 Posts)
McKayz Tue 16-Apr-13 13:52:55

I've got some cotton fabric that I am planning on using to make a blanket for DD.

I know you are meant to pre-wash before cutting and sewing but do I need to do a special wash or just a normal say 30 wash with washing powder and conditioner?

Thanks

spixblue Tue 16-Apr-13 14:17:50

Hello! I'm new to sewing (so my advice is speculative). When I worked in a curtain shop, we suggested washing the fabric before turning up the hems because there could be between 5% and 10% shrinkage after washing. It's worth adding a small amount of gentle detergent to freshen it up while it's in the machine anyway. Give it a good iron too, obviously. Good luck with the project! Your daughter will love it!

PurpleFrog Tue 16-Apr-13 15:20:32

You want to pre-wash the fabric in the way you will be washing the finished article/garment. I usually overlock or overcast the ends first to prevent excessive fraying.

If it is flannel do everything short of beating it with a stick, that stuff continues to shrink.

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 16-Apr-13 16:01:49

your normal wash is fine.

McKayz Wed 17-Apr-13 14:46:55

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now