Talk

Advanced search

Oilcloth table cloth

(9 Posts)
Throughgrittedteeth Tue 16-Apr-13 08:11:48

Yesterday I bought some oilcloth to make a table cloth but, being a sewing novice, I'm not sure if I actually have to do anything with it?
It is backed with a softer fabric but will it fray? Should I sew a seam into it? Can you sew into oilcloth with a regular needle/sewing machine?
Sorry for all the questions, all answers will be appreciated grin

Throughgrittedteeth Tue 16-Apr-13 10:11:13

Anyone?

Heinz55 Tue 16-Apr-13 10:12:51

I have oilcloth and never hemmed it or anything. In my home they last about 12 - 18 months - not because they fray (at all) but because my children get ink and paint on them - tomato sauce also stains them.

cocoplops Tue 16-Apr-13 10:13:45

You don't need to do anything - wont fray. If you wanted to put a contrasting edging on it for decor you can sew it - think you might have to use a heavy duty needle for jeans or something?

mrsminiverscharlady Tue 16-Apr-13 10:14:21

No need to hem. Mine don't even last 12 months sad Luckily for me they sell cheap ones at the local market!

lynniep Tue 16-Apr-13 10:17:55

It wont fray. As others have said it will probably stain with bolognaise and get pen marks all over it like mine. But then thats what its for - protects your table!

BigBoobiedBertha Tue 16-Apr-13 10:49:29

No they won't fray but just as aside, you can sew into them with a normal machine and decent needle. Some people use oil cloth to make bags etc, Cath Kidson stylee

Throughgrittedteeth Tue 16-Apr-13 11:06:13

Thanks for the replies! I'll leave be then.
I got it cheap from our market - £4 shock so I'll keep an eye out for bolognaise stains! grin

BlueChampagne Thu 18-Apr-13 12:33:02

My one from John Lewis has lasted 15 years, including 5 years of at least one DC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now