Talk

Advanced search

Chiffon, Organza, Organdy, Georgette?!?!?! Fabric help and advice please!

(8 Posts)
Somersaults Mon 15-Apr-13 19:20:31

I'm trying to make a floaty tent for my Calm Corner/Sacred Space in my classroom. Just so you can picture it (if I can describe it well enough!) I will be attaching a large hoop high up on the wall, and hanging from the ceiling too, so it sticks out to make the top of the tent. I will then thread curtains of a nice drapy fabric around the hoop so that they drape down to the floor and the children can go inside. I want the children to feel like they are escaping the classroom hubbub so it must offer some degree of privacy but it must be somewhat see-through so that they are not unsuperivised! I immediately thought chiffon but have stumbled into a world of weird and wonderful fabrics that I've only ever read about in Noel Streatfield's Ballet Shoes and I'm now confused. Oh, and it must also be cheap.

My questions are for you wonderful fabric knowledgable people are:
- What is the difference between chiffon, organza, organdie, georgette and any other of those type fabrics?
- Which would drape best and be see through ish to fit my above criteria?
- What is a good price to pay?
- Where online can I order it that will be cheap, reliable and fast?

Thank you, you language of fabric speakers.

DwellsUndertheSink Mon 15-Apr-13 19:25:35

I think Id go for a ready made viole curtain - like this in a colour, available from argos, the range, ikea....all about £13 for a pair of full length.

Somersaults Mon 15-Apr-13 21:48:44

Ooooh that is a good idea. I may well order myself a pair of those and get it sorted! Now my only problem is choosing a colour!

I am interested though... What actually is the difference between all those fabrics? You've thrown voile into the mix now too!

DwellsUndertheSink Mon 15-Apr-13 22:02:51

not an expert, but the fabrics are all similar in composition (silk, cotton. linen blends), but differ in the way they are woven, this giving them different characteristics. (Nowadays they are also made with synthetics).

chiffon is dressmaking fabric - very fine weave but done with a twist so there is a little stretch in the fabric, but its also a little rough texture as a result. Closely related to georgette, which is courser in texture and less lustrous

Organza is very fine weave traditionally made from silk and used in bridalwear and evening wear - has a shiney lux look about it.

Organdie is similar to georgette, but is very stiff fabric because of how it is made.

Voile is made in a similar way, but is made of cotton only.

Somersaults Mon 15-Apr-13 22:11:04

Wow, thank you. I would have referred to all of them as chiffon!

And thank you for your marvellous idea of just using curtains. Saves me time, effort and money. Why on earth I didn't think of it I have no idea! I really appreciate it smile

DwellsUndertheSink Mon 15-Apr-13 22:24:15

you are welcome. grin I love sewing, but chiffon etc is a major pain in the to sew, id rather you spend your time doing something more interesting ....like MN....grin

DwellsUndertheSink Mon 15-Apr-13 22:25:27

ooooh it took out my stars. I guess I'll just have to be rude and say "a major pain in the arse to sew"....how uncouth!

ThatGhastlyWoman Mon 15-Apr-13 22:51:17

For a moment there, I thought this was going to be one of those name threads. grin

Sounds like a lovely idea, by the way. Ikea might be worth a squint if you have one nearby?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now