Talk

Advanced search

Decluttering - can you do it if you are crafty?

(9 Posts)
reindeesandchristmastrees Sat 13-Apr-13 09:38:04

Ok so I've been reading the hoarder or chucker discussion o the day? I have diagnosed myself as generally an idle declutter, i can do it just dont often get round to it. But part of the problem is my craft stuff (material and yarn stash plus bits for crafts i dont often do but do irregularly and will do again. Presumably that stuff is exempt? What do others do?

blue2 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:40:44

I had a clear out of fabrics about 6 months ago. People had given me stuff that I really didn't like. A lot of it was cotton so I handed it onto someone who was making little dresses for Oxfam to send out to Haiti.

Other fabrics I really want to hang on to, and make stuff with. You have to be quite brutal!

27cats Sat 13-Apr-13 09:43:56

Watching with interest here!
I have lots of craft stuff and I also have a job with children which means I keep things ''in case we need them''. I need to be more decisive about what to keep and what to get rid of, but am finding it hard!

Quak Sat 13-Apr-13 10:00:42

I had to get rid of lots of my art things last year as we were moving into a smaller house. I missed them and some things I should have kept. Then I had to throw away a lot more of my things as they got water damaged and mouldy in the new house. Then we moved again and I was brutal.
I have more space but don't do as much making things anymore sad
Only chuck if it is replaceable, i.e. you could buy a new one somewhere.

MrsPennyapple Sat 13-Apr-13 13:43:50

I am very much a chucker-outer, but have a very healthy craft stash! I'm very lucky that I have a dedicated craft room, so I figure that as long as it all fits in there, it's not in anyone else's way, so it doesn't have to be decluttered.

That said, I do periodically go through and sell bits and pieces - things I've bought for projects that I've since changed my mind about, leftover yarn from completed projects, etc. I really am not going to use one and a half 50g balls of yarn that doesn't go with anything else I have. This way the stash gets condensed - it doesn't get too massive, and I know that everything in it is good stuff.

Besides, it's a good excuse to have a rummage through, and that tends to lead to inspiration, for me.

Dingle Sat 13-Apr-13 14:00:41

I am lucky enough to have a clutter room Craft room, so my stash can be hidden away and a door closed so that it doesn't have to have too much impact on the rest of the house.

I am currently trying to de-clutter that room, sell off some old stamps, embellishments, dies etc....not just to make more room......but to buy different crafty clutter to put in it's place!grin

I think the key is to having good storage and organised clutter.wink

lljkk Sat 13-Apr-13 14:12:37

Strict discipline about not buying anything new, I have to use up old stash instead. Only keeping my favourites, not lots of "maybe" stuff or anything I instinctively blanche at.

Am madly trying to finish up a quilt today, actually smile.

PurpleFrog Sat 13-Apr-13 14:50:47

I am currently trying to re-organise my stash and stack it neatly in large lidded crates at the end of our floored loft. I have yarn and fabric going back 30 years or so... plus some stuff that is probably older, that my Mum passed on to me when she had a clearout a few years ago. Like lljkk I am trying to be disciplined and not buy anything new... unless it is to be used alongside something in the stash.

I have packs of wool that I bought when various local yarn shops closed down. Some of these I have now sold on eBay as I have decided I don't really want to work with them. I have also sold some lengths of 1980s Laura Ashley fabric, but am now slightly regretting that!

I haven't got as far as sorting out my UFOs - it is going to be very difficult to be ruthless with these.

bran Sat 13-Apr-13 15:19:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now