Talk

Advanced search

Loads of patterns dating back to late 40s.

(11 Posts)
harbinger Fri 12-Apr-13 21:01:35

My DM has passed a load of patterns on to me.

They are mostly blouses and skirts in the early years and then dresses.

They are priced in shillings and pence.

They come from Le Roy,Vogue,Simplicity,McCalls and Butterick.

What shall I do with them?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 12-Apr-13 22:34:04

Well...do you sew? Would you like to keep them?

harbinger Fri 12-Apr-13 22:41:27

I can sew. I just can't find any decent material.

Don't start me off ....

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 12-Apr-13 22:47:37

Where are you looking? What constitutes decent? grin Do you need rayon type stuff...or cottons?

codswallopandchips Fri 12-Apr-13 22:48:07

eBay! You can do them in packs of 5 if you can't be bothered doing multiple listings, but these are really really desirable and you'll definitely get folk interested.

harbinger Fri 12-Apr-13 23:01:19

Some of the patterns that I'd like to try are for the blouses.

I can make an A-line skirt.

Where can I get needle cord material?

harbinger Fri 12-Apr-13 23:04:18

cods went through all of them today.

Some seem to be too old

Some have no prescence

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 12-Apr-13 23:34:42

Needlecord is readily available! This Shop Truro Fabrics have very nice quality and traditional fabrics.

DeWe Sat 13-Apr-13 22:55:19

envy

I love old patterns. Currently making a 1950s dress up for dd2, and wondering if I can persuade her to have a petticoat under it. i have a lovely pattern for one.

For a nice 1950s dress pattern for a girl, they can fetch over £5 on ebay, but you need to use the right terms.
"Vintage" is good "old" is not. "Full skirt" tends to get more (even when it's not really confused. "Bridesmaid/party" for any dress remotely in that category. Ideally list the year published, or at any rate the decade.
If you can check they've got all their pieces that'll save some coming back. But if they're missing one piece then you can list them cheaper, and say what's missing. Often I'll buy those as the missing part is usually easy to make up, but then I get it cheaper.

Lorialet Sun 14-Apr-13 23:28:52

You could try listing them on Etsy if you don't want to keep them. They have a fantastic vintage category for just about everything and I always look there first if I'm after any vintage crafty things. Look at these blouse patterns and the prices of some of them!

harbinger Mon 15-Apr-13 18:14:33

ZoomDweeb Thanks for a recommendation. I really am in a fabric desert! and am reluctant to buy without any input. I like feeling the fabric.

DeWe The patterns date back to 1949. Most are from the 1952-5 era for the separates. Then there are some 50s dresses (including a tennis dress!). Then a huge change in style to the 60s dresses.

LorialetI have obviously heard of Etsy but am a little bit tech challenged blush. I have noted the prices,however.

The 50s patterns are of no use to me as I'm nowhere near a 50s shape.
She had such a tiny waist, mine ....... I'm also much broader across the shoulders.

Some of the 60s patterns look very useful though for tunics etc. Hence the needle cord.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now