Talk

Advanced search

Which sewing machine?

(5 Posts)
Callisto Thu 11-Apr-13 14:23:44

Hi all, wonder if I could ask some advice about buying a sewing machine?

I do a reasonable amount of sewing through the year and have made bunting and cushions plus linings for my marquees. It is all really straightforward stuff tbh, but I do like to have the option to use fancy stitches and sew buttonholes too.

I need a fairly robust sewing machine that can sew relatively thick bits of fabric without breaking needles every five minutes but that can also sew silk and fine cotton without ruining it. I don't want an industrial machine, and I don't really want to spend more than £100 if possible.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

sick0fants Thu 11-Apr-13 14:58:55

John Lewis do a good own brand one for £99. Comes in funky colours.
Bought mine about a month ago, and am really pleased with it.

daveydavidson Sat 13-Apr-13 17:55:56

I second the funky coloured john lewis one! I've got the mini version £49. No opened it yet (bought it today) but the reviews are fantastic!

Big one <http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jl110-colour-block-sewing-machine-purple/p231616754

Small one www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-mini-colour-block-sewing-machine/p352047?colour=Purple (Has more reviews than the big one)

fossil971 Sat 13-Apr-13 19:06:25

For £100, I'd get a secondhand machine, not too new, not computerised. Not a really old vintage one, but from the 1990s onwards are good modern style machines.

Better to go to a shop that does reconditioned machines or buy from a seller that offers a guarantee. (try yellow pages, there might be one in your town).

For heavier fabrics and reliability you need a proper machine, not a mini or toy machine. £100 is pushing it a bit but you might get lucky on ebay.

to give you an idea

example

fossil971 Sat 13-Apr-13 19:08:01

this looks good too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now