Talk

Advanced search

play dough goes wet and sticky in plastic bag

(5 Posts)
emsihe Thu 11-Apr-13 12:42:17

I read a message from a few years ago about someone's home made play dough going horrible and sticky when left overnight in a plastic bag. This happens to mine as well. I follow the recipe precisely, it works brilliantly and after one night in a plastic bag it's too sticky and horrid to use any more.
The replies to the previous message all said it's fine in a plastic bag.
Why is mine not fine - do you keep yours at room temperature or in the fridge? I use all the right ingredients as in the Mumsnet recipe.

JudithOfThePascha Thu 11-Apr-13 12:46:12

I wrap mine very tightly in cling film and store it inthe fridge. It really needs to back at room temp for optimum modelling (!) but a bit of energetic kneading also does the trick. Don't know if it's same recipe as MN one, but it is homemade. Although we have a load of the proper stuff at the moment and it smells so gooooood!

JudithOfThePascha Thu 11-Apr-13 12:46:59

BTW, mine lasts about 3 weeks/month stored in the fridge. Probably would last less if it was used more, I don't know.

emsihe Thu 11-Apr-13 15:01:02

Thanks for that .. I'll try the fridge. I read on another thread of someone recommending putting in a drop of essential oil to make it smell nice! Haven't tried it myself yet though .......

SchrodingersHat Fri 12-Apr-13 11:48:14

Mine lasts several months in a plastic tub (I find that air gets into a plastic bag but it goes hard not sticky). I use this recipe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now