Talk

Advanced search

How can I get this swirl paint effect?

(8 Posts)
Erebus Tue 09-Apr-13 14:26:27

here - looking at the white swirls he's used over all the picture

I think he uses enamels- could one do it with acrylic? Or isn't it possible to get the flow necessary?

AvrilPoisson Tue 09-Apr-13 14:39:27

looks like oils to me, could be acrylics quite easily though.

SoupDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 15:02:36

Yes, you can do it with acrylics slightly you may need to experiment to get the consistency right.

Didn't Jackson Pollack do this by swinging a paint pot with a hole in the bottom over a canvass?

Erebus Tue 09-Apr-13 16:51:09

Thanks. I think the artist of the linked work said he'd used enamel, that was the only reason I cited it!

I have tried watering down and 'flow-medium'ing' -down acrylics but I could only achieve a row of dots out of my syringe, not 'toothpaste' iyswim! A long, thin continuous cylinder of paint, if you like. If it was thin enough to 'tube', not 'dot', it just spread and formed a blob on the canvas rather than maintaining its shape integrity.

I haven't experimented with thick acrylic and a wider bore syringe yet- I assumed it'd come out like toothpaste, ie a gert great thick cylinder rather than the 'filigree' thinness of the lines on the linked picture.

SoupDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 17:07:34

The desription said "oil based gloss and matt paint" I think.

Erebus Tue 09-Apr-13 22:39:04

Sorry, I thought I read that it was enamel. That was probably another work by the same artist where he spoke (at length!) along the lines of : 'you think this is easy? You try laying down 'x' layers of enamel, not the easiest medium to work in at the best of times...' etc. No doubt he is 100% correct!- but that's where I got the 'enamel' thing from!

rockinhippy Tue 09-Apr-13 23:15:14

If you mean the top raised white "swirls" then as said above , you need a vessel suspended to swing the paint over your canvas - empty washing up bottles work for this sort if stuff - cut the bottoms off - couple of holes at the side for your string - it will work with most paints - But you need to play with the consistancy - my DD has done similar with poster paints.

If its the back white more bled swirls, then that's down to your primer

Erebus Wed 10-Apr-13 08:14:09

ok, thanks, I'll give it a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now