Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a homemade wedding present?

(15 Posts)
flubba Tue 09-Apr-13 11:29:55

I'd like to make a wedding present for my friend who is getting married this summer, but not sure a) if they'd appreciate it (whatever it is) or b) what to make!

I sew, so I was thinking along the lines of personalised napkins (naff?), bunting, cushions or something similar. Any good ideas lovely crafters?

I had a quick look on NOTHS but wasn't inspired.

(I don't have a printer, so can't do any printed things)

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 09-Apr-13 11:50:26

I'd love a handmade wedding gift. Do you want to make something decorative or functional?

Have they lived together? If so would you know what colours would "go" in their home? Could you make them a patchwork runner for their bed? Your patchwork is lovely.

saycheeeeeese Tue 09-Apr-13 11:54:12

Im currently crocheting my friends a throw for a wedding present. Its beautiful smile
Whst type of craft are you interested in? What's the budget?

KelleStar Tue 09-Apr-13 11:58:40

Homemade presents are very much appreciated. I knitted a cushion for a friend last year and it has pride of place on her reading chair.

I chose a variegated yarn that compliments the colours in her home.

A friend of the family made a lovely patchwork quilt/throw that I snuggle under on the sofa, for our wedding. In fact lots of friends made us nice things.

DH's favourite is a large smooth stone that someone has painted our names on and our wedding date, it's very pretty and personalised and we use it to prop open the back door in the summer.

BardOfBarking Tue 09-Apr-13 12:03:39

I wrote in beautiful script and illustrated a poem that they had asked me to read at their wedding. I think they liked it - they have it in a frame over their bed grin

flubba Tue 09-Apr-13 12:06:58

Thank you woolly ~ they haven't lived together but also live abroad, so I don't know their tastes except for clicking on their gift list, but they've got lots of functional things on there (cutlery etc) so they don't give many clues.

cheeeese (have I got enough 'e's there?!) fabric, sewn things. Quite a small budget as their wedding's abroad so we're spending lots on planes, trains and hotels etc.

kelle I'd love to make a quilt for them, but not convinced my sewing skills are good enough, also I think it'd end up being quite expensive and a lot of work for something I'm not 100% sure they'd like.

I like the idea of a patchwork runner thing for their bed woolly - would you go for neutral colours? Or I could sneakily ask their siblings, who also live in Germany, what colours might be appreciated?

flubba Tue 09-Apr-13 12:08:09

Bard that's lovely - I did that for me and DH with a poem I had read at our wedding too! What poem did they have, out of interest?

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 09-Apr-13 12:30:23

I would have a look to see if there is any bed linen on the gift list and see if it gives any clues to colour choices and also size of their bed.

I made very cackhanded bed runners for my two DDs to go with their new Christmas bedding. They came together quite quickly once I decided how I was laying them out.

If in doubt I would definitely ask someone who knows what colours would be suitable.

soaccidentprone Tue 09-Apr-13 12:41:06

I think the choices are practical or decorative ie a cushion cover or framed embroidery, for example.

or maybe an applique cushion cover of their wedding destination - a beach and sun or famous building in the country they are marrying in?

LoganMummy Tue 09-Apr-13 12:45:20

Our friend made us Christmas fabric napkins and table runner and I love them (I love Christmas also)! Such a personal gift and really appreciated.

acrabadabra Tue 09-Apr-13 12:49:50

We had friends make us a lovely monogrammed bottle of raspberry vodka, and a framed triptych of photos of the area we got married.

wafflingworrier Tue 09-Apr-13 13:02:01

a mix cd with cheesy love songs on/ones that mean something to them
i wouldnt do something with photos as they will print their own out
someone made us one of those hanging heart things for our door, embroidered with our initials and wed.date. good as small and personal but also if short on time you could buy one then personalise

we got given gardening stuff which was great, use all the time and would never afford ourselves, so maybe paint or pva stick a montage onto a really good sized tin/box for them to keep seeds in?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 09-Apr-13 20:12:55

OK bear with me...
a friend of mine had beautiful squares of paper that she got key friends to write a word of support/inspiration on, they could do it in beautiful script or spaghetti hoops or fabric swatches etc.. they were totally diverse and all beautiful.

the gift, was that she framed with a little plaque on it with date of the wedding on it.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 09-Apr-13 20:17:02

Place mats and matching serviettes

Cushions

flubba Tue 09-Apr-13 22:19:16

Thank you all - some lovely ideas! Have already sent some beach people on the hunt for pebbles (am stuck at home with a chickenpox child), and have been sketching (sp?) some ideas together inspired by ideas from here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now