Talk

Advanced search

To those of you going to Bonaza this weekend

(21 Posts)
pootlepod Thu 11-May-06 13:10:14

Have a great time.

I have decided that I will be brave and go next year. But I would like any advice on looking like I craft a bit more than I actually do, so please come back and tell me any tips. Like do I really need an airline style bags with a hundred bits of scrapbook paper in? And what happens if I sit down at the crop bit and don't get any inspiration? Would I be allowed to copy?

Have a fab time and don't spend too much. All right, you can spend a little bit since you've been good.

auntyquated Thu 11-May-06 17:53:59

pootle...you have jsut descibed me. i am going tomorrow and i know i won't do anyhting at the crops other than watch other people!!! tbh i don't really get crops...i am going for the classes and the fun; i can sit and scarpbook at home wiothout carting all my stuff miles down the country to do it. i am a newbie to scarpbooking so i will jsuy watch everyone else and try and look busy.

auntyquated Thu 11-May-06 17:54:28

it will help when i can type SCRAP correctly too

kiwibella Thu 11-May-06 18:51:40

Good questions pootlepod... it's all a bit scary. I started to panic when I was reading how people were preparing for it. I would enjoy the classes but I don't know how serious I really am to take part in everything else. Have a fantastic time, if you are going... and come back and let us know all your tips for making the most of it.

champs Fri 12-May-06 01:03:56

too!!

have a great time, all who are going!!

reports will be needed, nay expected when y'all get back

pootlepod Mon 15-May-06 10:56:17

C'mon then, you must be back by now (or still unloading the car with all the stash you bought).

Was it good?

kiwibella Mon 15-May-06 18:50:06

they are back and MUST update us here!!

JayzMummy Mon 15-May-06 20:15:21

It was fab. From the minute I arrived at the hotel up until the second I left....just quite possibly one of the best weekends I have had.
Met up with some of my heros and had a ball. Scrapped a little but not that much in the crop room....managed to win one of the LO competitons and bagged myself a fabby collection by SEI.

Classes were fab...Kirtsy Wisemans classes excellent, Mandy Andersons fast paced but great techniques learnt, Al Dohertys relaxed and fun and Leandra and mark from Paper Arsty have me totally addicted to Gesso and acrylic paints. Best classes for me were Lance Andersons Rusty Pickle...apart from the fact that he kept nicking my bits and Becks Faggs Lil Davis class was vibrant and exciting....came home with loads of freebies from both classes

Missed out on joining Dyans class as it clashed with a couple of others I wanted to do...but that was OK cus she sorted me out later and had posted a few goodies to my home for me to play with upon my return

Met up with AQ which was great fun....after chatting for such a long time on MN and MSN it was great to actually meet face to face and she is more luverly IRL.

The overall Bonanza experience was great however there were some issues...classes over subscribed so not enough equipmemt for all...class descriptions were very vague so you didnt get to do what you were supposed to be doing in many...trimmers were naff and didnt work.

Ive learnt lots and have a few tricks up my sleeve ready for Bonzo 07....room 34...now that was just the best kept secret and poor AQ missed out because she left just minutes before I was shown the way to a room full of stash that was....well lets just say out of this world!!!

Deffo suggest anyone who is planning on going to go next year to start saving now and to book a VIP ticket if you can...the perks of being a VIP are massive and well worth the extra few pennies.

pootlepod Mon 15-May-06 21:15:52

[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

Hearing about it has made my day! Sounds great. So what did you get for your VIP ticket JM and what did you have to get extra? Do the classes lead you through every basic step (thinking a little further on than scissors here).

JayzMummy Mon 15-May-06 22:03:09

VIP included 1 nights stay at the Hilton... transport to and from hotel to NEC...express registration...a huge goodie bag full of stash....free tool kit (although trimmer was cr@p)...access to VIP seating in the crop lounge...VIP room serving tea/coffee/cakes and yummies all day....free make and takes...4 free classes plus access to Room 34.

pootlepod Mon 15-May-06 22:05:50

Am I right thinking it was £195? That's quite a good deal then. Worth it just to get to room 34! LOL

soapbox Mon 15-May-06 22:06:51

JM - what was in room 34 - sounds a bit Harry Potterish to me

JayzMummy Mon 15-May-06 22:06:57

Opppsss forgot to say at the time of booking the classes detail whether they are beginners, novice or advanced....so you can pick and choose to suit your ability....some are very fast paced and it can be difficult to keep up especially if the instructor keeps nickin your bits to show the rest of the class!!

Some class teachers give very clear instructions whilst others just whizz through but on the hole most do give lots of chances for those who are lagging to play catch up....each class has assistants who will happily come and lend a hand.

HTH

JayzMummy Mon 15-May-06 22:09:55

ahhhhh Soapbox now that would be telling

Its a VIP/Volunteer secret room filled with stash that sooooooooooooooooo cheap....I kid you not packs of MM bellies for 50p!!!!!

soapbox Mon 15-May-06 22:15:36

Wow - 50p - how many sackfuls did you return home with

Nemo1977 Mon 15-May-06 22:19:19

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so jealous wonder if I could get away with going next year...although would probably be too nervous about not being good enough

pootlepod Mon 15-May-06 22:23:31

Well I might go for the VIP ticket then, I wouldn't have much stash for the teacher to nick . I would also invest in a scrapboom cropper to take room 34 away with me. And demand that the classroom assistant sits with me.

It's good to know they have beginner classes.

JayzMummy Mon 15-May-06 22:56:48

Nemo Pootle....please dont be put off by it all.
I was scared sh*tless if the truth be known. It was so scarey walking into the hotel bar and not knowing anyone but within minutes I was sat with a glass in one hand having a riot of a time.
The classes are fab and I sat in on one of Kirstys beginner classes because I needed to watch a Pro at work...Im dont feel very confident in my own teaching style when it comes to teaching newbies...so watching a master perform helped me loads and I picked up some fab teaching tips from her.
The beginner classes are very slow paced and all the stash you need is provided in the form of a class kit....this is the same for all classes.

By this time next year you will both be way to advanced for the beginners classes....if you know how to set an eyelet and use a brad then you are not a beginner.

Nemo1977 Mon 15-May-06 23:00:21

lol still a beginner then as have no idea how to do eyelets and keep meaning to have a go

JayzMummy Mon 15-May-06 23:12:08

But by this time next year you will have gone past the eyelets are fab stage and be so much more advanced....Ive only been scrapping 9 months and have moved on in leaps and bounds!!

Carolinett Tue 16-May-06 08:40:29

Glad to hear you had creative & mind blowing weekend

BUT

Next time you go on your VIP scrapping thingy be one step ahead of them.

ASK FOR ROOM 34

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: