Anyone else going to join me on the Sewing Bee watch?

(1000 Posts)
flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:06:36

A bit excited about it

blush

grin

Ambridge Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:24

The problem with this programme is that it's too simplistic for a moderately-expert sewer, and too complicated for a beginner. They haven't really explained bias binding but suddenly they throw in an airy reference to a bias-binding maker. It's neither one thing nor another.

blueraincoat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:33

MORE florals from Sandra

TolliverGroat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:34

(they may have edited that to make Lauren's fit look worse than it actually was, though)

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:51

Well... my mate's mum is friends with the female judge. Will that do?

Ambridge Tue 02-Apr-13 20:47:34

Sorry blueraincoat, x-posted!

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:47:49

Do they all have the same machines to work with?

I had mark down as a LARP-er. Was a bit surprised when he was Steam punk.

He'd make an ace viking type.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 02-Apr-13 20:48:38

Blueraincoat - exactly. I didn't need it and E wouldn't be able to make it even if she watched it several times. Waste of time.

blueraincoat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:14

makescakes grin

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:23

Rhine - I don't blame you for saying 'No thanks' - too much pressure and too much 'creative' editing.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:47

Is that Tilly with the rose in her hair?

Also - I hate this time constraint. It doesn't add anything to the whole thing. Surely the whole point of a hand-sewn garment is that it took time and care, not that it was knocked up in half an hour. This is making me very grouchy now. I'd say that a sewing deadline was more likely to be measured in weeks and days, not hours and minutes like with cooking. I'm getting progressively more grumpy.

catwithflowers Tue 02-Apr-13 20:50:52

But the nice thing is that I am now inspired to join a beginners sewing class. I can cook well, so understand what you mean about not really catering to either beginner or expert but still feel excited. I would be happy to be able to make decent soft furnishings for my home smile

Yup. Tilly is flower girl

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 02-Apr-13 20:51:23

Just seems to be a thing now, has to be a competition.

TolliverGroat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:51:55

Although they are giving them a fair bit of free rein -- and a comment that they keep making about Ann is that she is selecting projects that she can complete to a high standard in the time available (as opposed to some others who are biting off more than they can chew).

cat - have you tried looking online for blog tutorials? I've made cushions and curtains by following those - they're super.

blueraincoat Tue 02-Apr-13 20:52:53

The not steam-punk man's dress made the model look pregnant. She wasn't right?

Sandra's dress reminds me of Victoria Wood in Dinnerladies.

I do like Tilly's dress though - despite the scallops. Badly fitted though.

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:53:48

Stuart's dress looks like a maternity one (and that fabric is giving me a headache)

Time constraint is silly, but I suppose they have to give some time limit so that it gives a level playing field for the competition.

I'd definitely be out on this challenge! grin

bran Tue 02-Apr-13 20:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:54:46

blue snap! smile

See, now I think they all look shoddy for having a machine sewn hem. Poorly done. That should be invisibly sewn with a slip stitch surely?

flubba Tue 02-Apr-13 20:55:12

iplayer it bran

catwithflowers Tue 02-Apr-13 20:55:15

Thanks makes cakes, will have a look!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.