Advanced search

Decoupaging furniture - which varnish?

(13 Posts)
Servalan Sun 17-Feb-13 13:53:56

I'm getting quite into decoupage at the moment - but have only done small projects so far, but now want to decoupage some chairs and maybe the doors of my fitted wardrobe.

Not sure of the best varnish to go over the top of it all though - all the stuff I'm finding about decoupage online is American and they are using American products - am looking at different types of varnish on B&Q and similar websites and getting really confused!!

Thanks smile

MechanicalTheatre Sun 17-Feb-13 14:18:11

We used Modge Podge, you can get it on ebay.

Servalan Sun 17-Feb-13 14:30:07

Thanks for replying. I've been using mod podge on the small projects I've been doing, but all the stuff I'm reading seems to indicate that on furniture I need something a bit more hard-wearing to go over the top of it all? Have you used Mod Podge as the final finish on furniture, and if so, how durable has it been?

MechanicalTheatre Sun 17-Feb-13 14:38:43

I don't think I've ever used it all over.

We mixed together water and PVA and put that on a table, but I suppose it depends on the type of project/finish you want. Ours was covered in comic strips, so it looked fine.

Servalan Sun 17-Feb-13 15:03:43

suppose I want something that'll last - obviously chairs will get sat on a lot... I'd like it to have a pretty smart finish - thinking of mix and matching paper and possibly fabric from different places.

Blessyou Sun 17-Feb-13 15:08:52

I've seen Yacht varnish recommended.

KelleStar Sun 17-Feb-13 15:20:11

In b&q or similar DIY chains, where the spray paint is you can get spray on varnish, think it might be called plasticote or similar, it's quite good for furniture and as long as you have a good hand you can get a nicer finish.

rockinhippy Mon 18-Feb-13 13:27:22

Waterproof Modge Podge, or normal finished with a spray of Plasticoate - I've tried Yacht varnish in the past & though very good it depends on the colours used as I found it left a bit of a yellowish tint


Servalan Mon 18-Feb-13 14:02:35

Thanks for the hints - not sure how steady my hand is (this crafty stuff isn't a natural talent!! smile )and some of the varnishing would have to be done indoors, so haven't been sure whether a spray is the right thing to use?

I had been wondering about yellowish tints as I know that happens with quite a lot of varnishes. The American instructions I have come across online have specified on one website, acrylic polyurethane varnish, and on another website watersoluble polyurethane varnish, both that were brushed on - but I've only been able to find spray-on products in the UK - hence the confusion! Will look into Plasticoate. Thanks smile

QueenMaeve Tue 19-Feb-13 09:43:53

I just use b&q own brand clear varnish over the top of decoupage. I've done chairs, drawers etc and it seals them perfectly

Servalan Tue 19-Feb-13 18:10:36

Is this the one you mean QueenMaeve? Can't see another clear varnish on their website, but want to make sure I have the right one!

Servalan Tue 19-Feb-13 18:11:10

(oh - and thanks btw!! smile)

QueenMaeve Wed 20-Feb-13 18:15:55

Yes that's the one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: