Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - need to learn to paint and engrave on wood

(6 Posts)
Santaandme Mon 17-Dec-12 19:01:55

Just that. Asides from youtube etc, I need to learn how to engrave and paint on wood fairly quickly. I don't mind paying some money to learn this. Does anyone know places where these lessons or courses are offered? I am in Hertfordshire and can drive to London/Essex/Kent if needed. Many thanks lovely Mnetters!

mrscrimbobash Mon 17-Dec-12 21:01:15

Painting and engraving wood doesnt actually tell us what you want to do... if you want to paint wood you could just sand down and slap a coat of emulsion on wink

Is it fine art painting? Refurbing?

No idea what you mean by engraving on wood. Do you mean lettering? Do you have any tools?

Santaandme Mon 17-Dec-12 21:39:16

sorry if I didnt explain myself well. I mean for things like personalised signs and plaques. And I guess by engraving I mean lettering..

mrscrimbobash Mon 17-Dec-12 21:44:45

You could get a woodburning kit. If you google image search 'Wood Burning Kit' you'll see lots of examples

link

Santaandme Tue 18-Dec-12 15:26:59

Thanks Mrs

KelleStarOfWonder Tue 18-Dec-12 16:13:34

Pyrography is the name for burning designs into wood. My mother does this to great effect, she has a machine that does the job, nibs out of various diameter bits of wire, her machine is for more professional users, for starters she had a little plug in pen device for about £20.

We loved doing it as kids [though not exactly safe!] and she still decorates wooden spoons and signs. My dad makes the signs up out of Pine and adds the wire holders. Though you can buy them in bulk they are often made of MDF, which though you can engrave it's not as nice as a piece of pine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now