Talk

Advanced search

Quilting patterns

(9 Posts)
lljkk Tue 11-Dec-12 19:13:57

I've got a patchwork quilt tacked together (running stitches), and now need to get quilting proper.

I was thinking about doing cat outlines, like this, around A5 size.

Realistic? Too fiddly? Worth a go?

The quilt is for teenage DS so doesn't need to be top notch quality but don't want to waste my time, either.

Stitchthis Tue 11-Dec-12 21:20:41

I think so long as you leave enough space around each motif, it will look lovely. Cats are very popular! I made a cat quilt for my mother-in-law using a similar design. If you wanted a simpler shape, you could do a Whiskas cat shape (Have a look at the tin)...

lljkk Wed 12-Dec-12 10:13:12

ooooh, love your cat quilt. Thanks for the encouragement smile.

lljkk Wed 12-Dec-12 10:13:40

ps: sodding cat occupying the wadding I've laid out, naturally!!

Stitchthis Wed 12-Dec-12 13:30:55

draw round it!!!

lljkk Wed 12-Dec-12 13:35:14

lol
I could probably stuff the quilt with cat fur instead of bamboo wadding (muse).

lljkk Sat 15-Dec-12 19:30:42

I am such a numpty. I just figure out I should have been using a freehand or darning foot, rather than walking foot, which was proving too stressful to do anything interesting.

My quilting looks awful but too much to redo, now. sad

Still, this quilt was supposed to be for annoying DS who will probably never get it, now, until I die, maybe. So I can live with its flaws.

LatteLady Sat 15-Dec-12 22:10:12

No, you should have used a walking foot in order to ensure that all the fabric of differing thicknesses went through (walked under the foot) at the same time, otherwise you will get puckering.

lljkk Sun 16-Dec-12 12:51:08

But it's impractical to do fancy shapes or swirly anything with walking foot, can't easily enough turn the quilt round & round... Walking foot good for straight lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now