Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chain-stitching a name on a cushion

(4 Posts)
forgottoremember Sun 25-Nov-12 21:02:36

I haven't got a crafty bone in my body - or at least I thought I didn't, but I've just made a v nice cushion for a birthday present.

Now I think I want to embroider a name onto it.

Is this ridiculously difficult (i.e. will I wreck my nice cushion)?

Is chain stitch the right stitch?

Is there a good youtube or similar tutorial about how to write in embroidery? Need some hand holding...

Thank you!

LatteLady Sun 25-Nov-12 22:59:57

I wrote a tutorial about basic embroidery at the beginning of the year... chain stitch is about half way down, and yes it is very easy and fine for writing a name. Practice on a scrap fabric to ensure you make the same size stitches. Even if you use large stitches, as long as they are a consistent size it will look great. Use an air soluble pen to write the name and it will disappear in a few hours, leaving just your embroidery... go on give it a go! smile

forgottoremember Mon 26-Nov-12 12:00:36

An air soluble pen??!! never heard of it - sounds great - where do I get one?? will have a go with the writing though you're right, I do need to practise first.

will look at your tutorial to remind myself how on earth I do chain stitch (last time probably for a primary school sampler or something...)

Thanks!

forgottoremember Mon 26-Nov-12 14:21:32

just bought pen on amazon - amazing what just typing in the right words does!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now