Talk

Advanced search

Need help with knitting! Moss stitch

(7 Posts)
flipflopper Mon 12-Nov-12 13:11:52

I've just started knitting and am really enjoying it, but im stuck on moss stitch, it keeps turning into rib stitch because i dont know whether to k or p!
It's so frustrating!
So if ivegot an odd number of stitches, can i go k,p,k,p,k on every row, or is that rib?
What about an even number?

Im getting so annoyed with it!

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Mon 12-Nov-12 13:41:41

for rib, you need to knit the knits and purl the purls. So if your next stitch has a little bump at the bottom, you purl it. If it has no bump, you knit it.

For Moss st, the opposite. so if there is a purl bump - Knit the stitch.

If it looks like a knit, you purl it.

video here

scarlet5tyger Mon 12-Nov-12 16:49:03

I find its easiest to do moss stitch with an odd number of stitches because that way your row always starts with a knit stitch.

flipflopper Tue 13-Nov-12 09:18:31

thankyou, i got so mixed up because i was doing an even number of stitches, then i started doing an odd number, and it all got confused!

Just another question though, if you do a knit stitch, them turn it round, is it a purl stitchon the other side?

Im off to do some practising!

holmessweetholmes Tue 13-Nov-12 19:36:53

Yes a knit stitch is a purl stitch on the other side. So if you do alternate rows of knit and purl, you end up with one side of your knitting as the smooth side (all knit stitches) and the other side is the 'bumpy' purl side. For moss stitch, when you've turned the knitting over to do the next row, when you come to what looks like a purl stitch, knit it. When you come to what looks like a knit stitch, purl it. Sorry - I've probably just repeated what others have said, but in a very long-winded way!

FlamingoBingo Wed 14-Nov-12 12:52:49

Turn your knitting to one side. If the stitch looks like the round bit of a p, then it's a purl. To continue making it purl-y, purl it. To make moss stitch, knit it.

If it looks like a little k, it's a knit stitch.

chubbleigh Wed 14-Nov-12 13:45:38

It's just practice, you will find you get better and better, in the end you will be able to do it hardly even looking. Stick with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now