Talk

Advanced search

How to remove a glued in place brooch pin?

(7 Posts)
Wingedharpy Sun 11-Nov-12 00:33:31

I have a lovely brooch that I made at a fused glass workshop many moons ago.
The pin to attatch the brooch to clothing was glued in place by the lady running the workshop using some sort of glue that had 2 parts to it that were mixed.
Unfortunately, the size of pin that she used and the placement of the pin are of no use to me (she's put a small pin in a very central position and the weight of the glass lozenge makes the brooch flop rather than sit up proudly!).
Any thoughts on how to remove or "dissolve" this glue?
Many thanks.

SufferingLampreys Sun 11-Nov-12 00:37:46

Sounds like epoxy

Might be able to heat it up
Or freeze it off

I don't normally like to say google it but it Varies depending what the brooch is made of etc

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 11-Nov-12 01:02:32

I'd try boiling water, which won't hurt the glass. As long as there are no other meltable components.

Seabright Sun 11-Nov-12 11:23:39

Can you gradually work a stanley knife under the glue?

mrscumberbatch Sun 11-Nov-12 13:30:03

The older epoxy resin is the harder it is to get off. Paint thinner should soften it a bit.

Grumpla Sun 11-Nov-12 13:38:28

I'd probably just glue a new one higher up.

I think given that the brooch is glass you don't want to risk cracking it whilst prising off the glue.

If the new pin is bigger it should sit proud of the old one and still work. Or you could add a thin slice of wood / felt or something to sit it on?

Wingedharpy Sun 11-Nov-12 14:09:58

Thank you kind people - lots of ideas for me to try there.
I did try with a stanley knife but it made no impact at all.
I'd thought about just sticking another pin on higher up but I think that would leave me with the same issue regarding how the brooch sits.
I think I will try the paint thinner first and take it from there.
I'm grateful for your suggestions - much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now