Talk

Advanced search

How do I convert an adult pattern to a child size (crochet)? Wrist warmers for 4 and 6 year old from adult pattern?

(3 Posts)
thunksheadontable Sat 10-Nov-12 09:30:22

Anyone know how to do this?

Length in pattern is 15cms but there is no info on circumference. For the smallest size (15cms as above) the foundation chain is 32 - it's mainly worked in htr with a puff stitch embellishment. It's 15 rows.

Tension 16sts and 12 rows measure 10cm square over htr on 4mm - essential to work to gauge.

Yarn is DK or 4ply.

I am a born-again crocheter - did some basic stuff at primary school (and knitting) and have just taken up needles and hook again in the last month or so, have made a few squares and experimented with a few fabrics like spreading fans/treble crochet fans and making flowers/leaves etc but am pretty inexperienced and just building up skills!

Any help greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

PurplePidjin Sat 10-Nov-12 09:40:28

In dk on a 4mm hook i reckon on 4sts to the inch.

Measure round child's wrist in inches, multiply by 4 and add 2ch for turning. Might be worth adding 2-3ch for ease/growing room, too. 15 rows is about 5" in htr for me.

Then either join your chain (carefully because of twisting!) or make a rectangle and sew it together later.

Sorry, I'm crap at metric blush

How many sts is the pattern worked across? Can you posts a link?

FlamingoBingo Sun 11-Nov-12 12:17:05

And do a swatch! Make up the first few rows (is it crocheted in the round?) and try it on for size smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now