Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know anything about clay???

(6 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 05-Nov-12 14:47:59

I want to make little miniature models - for example - a little teddy bear out of clay. I then want it to set - and then I want to colour it.

My questions
1/ what type/brand of clay?
2/ do I need to 'seal' it or 'waterproof' it or 'varnish' it?
3/ What do I paint it with?

I have looked on hobbycraft website and there are oven bake clays or just drying clays, all sorts of plasticine, all sorts of glue, varnish and waterproof things. I am clueless!! They seem to suggest Acryllic paint?

I want it to be quite professional - eventually - when I have mastered the art!

swampster Mon 05-Nov-12 14:56:09

I think if you want clay to look really professional you will need to fire it in a kiln. But air drying clay is probably the easiest starting point. And it can be fired too.

For cute little things an acrylic polymer(? I think that's what it is) like Fimo is perfect and fun to use and bakes at low heat in the oven. It comes in pretty colours too so no need for paints. I used to make lovely beads out of it many years ago.

BigBoobiedBertha Mon 05-Nov-12 15:06:50

Have you had a look at the Baker Ross website. They do air drying clay here You can paint it with acylic paint and then varnish afterwards, although the Baker Ross ones are coloured clay. They do other sorts as well.

I agree Fimo is lovely and perhaps might give a nicer finish than air dried clay and painting. You can make lovely beads from it for example.

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 05-Nov-12 15:14:08

ooh wowee - thanks both - I will have a look smile

SoupDragon Mon 05-Nov-12 15:47:25

From what you say, I think the polmyer clay is what you're after (Fimo). No need to colour it and it gives a great finish.

mmmerangue Wed 07-Nov-12 10:16:55

FIMO is the best thing ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now