Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone renovate doll houses?

(7 Posts)
insertsomethingwitty Sun 04-Nov-12 16:41:08

I have always been fascinated by miniature and when my daughter saw people were selling decorated Sylvanian houses on eBay I promised her I would do up one of her really old (mine) ones for her.

It is nearly finished now and looks pretty good and I really enjoyed doing it. I have re-done the roof that was all scuffed, put up 'wallpaper', put down flooring as the original floor was all scuffed and worn and made some tiny curtains so far. I think I would like to try and get hold of some more that needed a bit of attention and maybe try and sell them on.

Is there anyone out there who does this, or does it just as a hobby? I would love to hear from anyone that does.

goodiegoodieyumyum Sun 04-Nov-12 16:43:59

I am planning on doing with the dolls house my daughter inherited from her great grandmother, just waiting until she is a bit older.Did you enjoy doing it?

insertsomethingwitty Sun 04-Nov-12 16:50:07

Yes I loved it, it isn't a big house but I thought I would start off with something small, and something that wasn't a huge deal if I ruined.

The wallpaper especially was very fiddly as I wanted it to fit perfectly so took a while to make templates first.

But I think it looks great, much improved from how it was before.

jennimoo Sun 04-Nov-12 20:59:52

I'm hoping to do up my childhood dollshouse for DD for Christmas. Any tips on where is good to buy the paper from? I really need to recover the outside and would love to keep it red brick as it is now.

insertsomethingwitty Sun 04-Nov-12 21:53:25

For our wallpaer I just used Cath Kidston wrapping paper. You can get proper dolls house wallpaper though.

Showtime Sun 04-Nov-12 23:20:03

jennifersprintables have huge amount of downloadable, free papers for interior/exterior dolls-house renovation, arranged by period and drawn to scale, wonderful.

rockinhippy Mon 05-Nov-12 10:08:04

I can't answer your question OP as doing up DDs hpuse has just been a hobby project, but for those of you still intending to do up a dolls house & asking about paper etc THIS
is a great site for free printable period wallpapers, flooring tiles & more & look at some of the links, great little tutorials for making all kinds of things from furniture to pies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now