Talk

Advanced search

Cackhanded novice wants to learn to crochet, please help

(17 Posts)
southdevondelight Sat 03-Nov-12 09:22:11

Right so I've got a 5mm size needle and a lovely ball of double wool ready to go. Can anyone point me to a VERY BASIC instruction page/tutorial please?

Bear in mind that I can't knit either, so will not be familiar with terminology (although I do know that k=knit and p=purl, whatever that is!) Thank you smile

FaintingGhost Sat 03-Nov-12 11:24:39

This looks pretty good. Also look for youtube videos, so you can see it in action.

southdevondelight Sat 03-Nov-12 12:48:03

Took a quick look Fainting and, despite feeling a bit light-headed at the detailed pictures, this will be my mission after lunch. Wish me luck!

belindarose Sat 03-Nov-12 14:56:58

I started a few days ago and am using a mixture of 'crafty minx crochet school' (online) and a book called 'Kids learn to crochet'. I'm pathetically proud of my meagre progress!

FaintingGhost Sat 03-Nov-12 16:53:37

Good luck! Hope it's going well smile

Nothing pathetic about it Belinda, it's a bit of a brain-tangler at first, but you'll soon be able to do it without thinking about it!

southdevondelight Sat 03-Nov-12 18:35:14

And I've ordered the same book "Kids Learn to Crochet" from Amazon for a couple of pounds - hope it helps us, eh Belinda smile

belindarose Sat 03-Nov-12 19:00:49

Are you in South Devon, southdevon? I am. Seems like everyone down here is crafty, but me. The book is very easy!

Huffpot Sun 04-Nov-12 16:51:12

I've been thinking about making this very post...

I'll be looking at the links tonight!

southdevondelight Sun 04-Nov-12 17:31:52

Update - had a bit of a domestic crisis yesterday afternoon and no time today, so sadly not actually attempted casting on or whatever its called in crochet. Still very enthusiastic though, and have been caught stroking my wool fondly!

Belinda - no, not in Devon, but I spent the happiest days of my life around Dartmouth and aim to retire to the coast (when I win the lottery)

PurplePidjin Sun 04-Nov-12 17:35:26

<waves pompoms>

Hurrah for more hookers grin

Foundation chain, southdevondelight smile

SpinningBirdKick Sun 04-Nov-12 22:07:20

Just remember the best thing about crochet...it's really hard to drop a stitch (unlike knitting!)

-watch your turning chains at the edges if you're working rows....but you'll be fine- I learnt in a couple of hours with Youtube vids!

belindarose Sun 04-Nov-12 22:26:43

spinning, can you explain what you mean a bit more please? I've thought the turning chains was really obvious, but I'm probably missing something crucial!

PurplePidjin Mon 05-Nov-12 08:07:51

Probably that it's easy to either work into the first chain or into the 2nd stitch in, thereby accidentally decreasing or increasing...

belindarose Mon 05-Nov-12 08:35:25

Ah, yes. I'm finding it hard to find the right stitch. Thanks.

PurplePidjin Mon 05-Nov-12 08:46:19

smile

SpinningBirdKick Mon 05-Nov-12 16:31:28

Not a problem BR...
Basically, each stitch has a turning chain- so dc (double crochet) would have 1 stitch.
I've taught crochet and often find that people forget to miss the first stitch on the next row, as the turning chain cimpensates for that stitch.

......if this sounds head explodingly complicated- apologies from me- it's not!
A very good book to learn from (a friend learned from it who is 25) is a vintage book called Crochet Things by Rae Compton (Crompton?)- you should be able to get it on Amazon dirt cheap. It's a really simple book (a kid's book!) but really charming

Just keep practising, it'll come easily enough!

DharmaBumpkin Wed 07-Nov-12 13:26:31

I used Crafty Minx's crochet school, was brilliant (and free) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now