Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

teaching children to knit/crochet

(12 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Wed 31-Oct-12 21:59:49

DD 9 is into all things crafty

my mum has taught her a basic knitting stich and she will sit there for ages with her needles clacking away, even tension, my mum is impressed lol

however we are too far away for my mum to teach her properly

DD has no idea how to cast on or off and I haven't got a scooby??

thinking about for christmas getting her a how to knit book but was wondering if she would get more immeadiate satisfaction from crochet?

does anyone have an opinion, or can suggest a good book that a 9 yo would be able to follow independently without it being for babies?

UniS Wed 31-Oct-12 22:02:52

Try some on line tutorials. Easier to see what going on than in a book.

You could also look for a knit n knatter type group , the ladies at our village group think DS is wonderful because he can knit!.

FlamingoBingo Fri 02-Nov-12 07:44:34

YY to knit and natter group, and also to youtube videos. Here's a suggestion, though...why don't you learn alongside her? What a lovely thing to share with her smile

After learning basic knitting and purling as a child, I taught myself everything else over the last few years. Youtube is fantastic. The Usborne how to knit book for children is good and may be worth getting as a basic reference with youtube tutorials for back-up, and it has some lovely patterns in to get her started.

FlamingoBingo Fri 02-Nov-12 07:45:16

Ps. Whereabouts are you in the country? I'd be happy to help if you're anywhere near me.

tribpot Fri 02-Nov-12 07:52:41

Yup - a book is good but because knitting is a physical thing, you can need to see something to understand exactly how things are done. If you have Skype, your mum may be able to help from a distance, though?

Knitting for Dummies is a great online resource, with both written/drawn explanations and videos. On YouTube I particularly like PlanetPurl and KnitFreedom has some great videos available, which you can also buy as an eBook, so it comes with text and support as well.

flyoverthegoldenhill Fri 02-Nov-12 07:59:44

another vote for youtube. Go on Ravelry, at 9 she will findloads of things to do - just be aware - mature doesn't mean for old people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't she spend a day with gm as itsounds like it won't take her long to learn how to cast on and off.

PeggyCarter Fri 02-Nov-12 08:33:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 02-Nov-12 08:56:10

ooo thank you ladies

we are in yorkshire -I have never heard of a knit and natter group?
are they regional?

PeggyCarter Fri 02-Nov-12 09:11:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlamingoBingo Fri 02-Nov-12 17:05:33

Try asking in a local yarn shop about knit and matter groups, and if you join ravelry, you may find there's a local group on there you could ask as well.

MrsHoarder Fri 02-Nov-12 17:12:38

Also check your local library. I'm the youngest in my library knitting group by a good 30 years but they're very friendly.

tribpot Fri 02-Nov-12 18:21:17

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you, sausage? Most local yarn shops have a knit night (which appears, in fairness, to be a cover for 'drinking whilst in charge of knitting needles) and regular beginners' classes and suchlike as well. This is my nearest one, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now