Talk

Advanced search

Xmas blanket for my children...

(12 Posts)
Badvoc Wed 24-Oct-12 20:58:52

I would love to make an Xmas blanket for my two boys.
I have a new sewing machine!
Have not used it yet as have been ill since I bought it sad but have ordered some Xmas fabric squares from e bay...i got 120 x 2.5"
I have realised belatedly that its it enough but I can soon get some more...
I was hoping to just sew the squares together, use wadding to pad it and plain fabric for the backing and then just use the squares as the quilt pattern...
Iyswim?
Does that sound ok/do able?

CamperWidow Wed 24-Oct-12 22:54:51

Sounds fab! Hubby wants me to knit a jigsaw blanket for the Camper and it's gonna take ages, wish I had a sewing machine! Yeah, I'm knitting hte squares, joining together for the pattern, backing and wadding it.

dizzyday07 Thu 25-Oct-12 02:06:32

My advice would be to buy bigger squares - especially if you are going to make them one each! (For a single bed sized blanket you will need over 1000 x 2.5" squares). You can always add the smaller squares as a border around the bigger squares in the middle.

Badvoc Thu 25-Oct-12 07:57:10

1000?
(Faints)
Right.
So I need much larger squares then?
Would a jelly roll work better?

HappyTurquoise Thu 25-Oct-12 08:06:53

The great thing with jelly rolls is you sew them all together, then cut then into strips the other way (the same width as the jelly roll) and then stagger the squares to make your quilts, sew up so that no two matching fabrics are next to each other. (You can also stagger them by moving each strip a square further around, but if you make a mistake it will stand out and look odd).

Sew up the strips, and you have finished the top. Much easier than piecing together squares.

Badvoc Thu 25-Oct-12 10:32:22

Could you use a jelly roll to make a stripey quilt??
I don't mind if its nit patchwork per se....

HappyTurquoise Thu 25-Oct-12 21:34:49

Of course you can!

Fizzylemonade Fri 26-Oct-12 09:45:43

I confess I have become a bit obsessed with quilting or patchworking, and have been wasting a lot of time indulging this passion on YouTube researching grin

So, for a jelly roll quilt have a look at this by the Missouri Quit Company

And also for more ideas on how to sew a few strips of jelly roll together, then cut it to give you more patterns look at this one

You have to get past the fact that the presenter is very sweet and you can clearly loves all things quilt but they have some amazing videos and they are straight forward and easy to understand as they don't skip any steps, they film all of it.

YouTube is fantastic for this sort of thing.

Fizzylemonade Fri 26-Oct-12 09:46:28

*clearly see she loves all things quilt

Fizzylemonade Fri 26-Oct-12 10:10:12

This is the first video of a jelly roll quilt race! The music is awful but the actual technique shown is amazing.

Cast your eyes on this

Badvoc Fri 26-Oct-12 17:59:34

Thank you.
I don't have much time up to Xmas so would need to do it soon...

Badvoc Fri 26-Oct-12 17:59:54

....haven't even taken the sewing machine out of its box yet .....nervous! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now