Talk

Advanced search

Sewing box or basket

(15 Posts)
boatclub Wed 24-Oct-12 14:05:33

What do you keep your bits and bobs in? Mine are currently in a broken plastic basket and I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit more funky. I've had a look round but everything seems a bit floral, cutesy or boring. Any ideas or links would be great smile

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 14:47:53

Oh marking place

I currently have a old hand luggage sized suitcase my nan gave me with a seperate button tin (even if there is loads of buttons in my suitcase) A bag I made full of zips (I have no idea how to do zips) a rectangle shaped tin with cotton in and a safeway green box full of material. Need to sort it all out.

boatclub Thu 25-Oct-12 12:49:12

A suitcase could work. I've seen a few trunk style ones around

ClareMarriott Thu 25-Oct-12 13:01:13

Check out art and craft shops or vintage craft fairs for a sewing box and use jam jars for keeping buttons in.

Shoshe Thu 25-Oct-12 13:03:11

I have a old steamer trunk, it has a insert in it that lifts out.
Fabric is in the bottom and I bought some vintage tins to keep all the bits and pieces in in the top tray.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Oct-12 14:12:41

My crochet is now living in a picnic basket.

lljkk Thu 25-Oct-12 14:16:27

Boring is fine if it keeps your stuff organised.

foxtrottango Thu 25-Oct-12 19:41:54

I got a gorgeous new one at hobbycraft of all places yesterday!! I never normally go in. They had a big sale on all boxes, as much as 30 quid off. I got a really big one. I can even use it as a footrest! The fabric is a bit twee but its fun and i can re-cover it or add things to it to make it more to my taste.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Oct-12 21:34:49

Boring is not fine shock how can you suggest such a thing??

I have a huge bright spotty beach bag with my current crochet project in it, DD has a beautiful flowery/leafy gardening tote with pockets with her little crochet project in it.

Tw1nkle Sun 28-Oct-12 20:38:44

I have an antique Walnut Sewing Box - and love it!
You can pick them up quite reasonably at local auctions - and sewing tables with storage too.

Nivet Sun 28-Oct-12 20:42:00

I have a lovely wicker & plastic one sewing basket. It's 1960's I think - I bought it on EBay for about £12.

Shesparkles Mon 29-Oct-12 18:46:22

I use my old plastic nappy box! Perfect size and has enough wee dividers in the lift up shelf but for small things

DorothyGherkins Mon 29-Oct-12 21:53:08

I bought a tool box from Halfords! Plastic front so you can see where everything is. Once you open the lid, there are lots of individual 'cubes' you can lift out, so its brilliant to see at a glance where everything is, and you can just lift out the section, with pins, or elastic etc. whatever it is you are using at the present. Much more functional than prissy pretty sewing baskets, and you can store loads in it, and can be stored upright without it all falling out.

www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_198515_langId_-1_categoryId_255213

QueenOfToast Mon 05-Nov-12 13:13:19

I bought one of these last year www.rosecottageboxes.com/large-boxes.shtml and it makes me feel very happy every time I look inside at all my beautifully organised bits and bobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now