Talk

Advanced search

embroidered door handles...well, I think it'll be luvverly

(9 Posts)
gussiegrips Tue 23-Oct-12 21:34:04

Have found, in an old cross stitch mag (Aug 2000) - an article about how to make a pretty door knob.

Wooden door knob with clear, acrylic face for you to put over small embroidery.

Supplies listed as from Elizabeth Anderson, 0181 460 1951

Had a google - nothing. Looked up framecraft, nothing.

Anyone know where I can source such kitsch awesomeness? I'm about to put in a kitchen...how good would it be to have "mugs" and "cutlery" stitched ontot he handles o the doors? Would that stop everythign migrating?

Well, I like the notion.

Anyone seen such tat?

OddBoots Tue 23-Oct-12 21:37:09

So the fabric would be on the outside or encased in the acrylic? If outside won't it be a bit of a dirt and germ fest?

gussiegrips Tue 23-Oct-12 21:47:31

Wooden, traditional looking round handle sort of like this

but with a clear acrylic cove so you can put something underneath it sort of like this

fossil97 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:50:47

How about using a tiny brooch/necklace/pincushion frame and superglue it onto the front of a flat fronted knob?

I remember that sort of thing being in magazines, it's a bit Victorian style.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Oct-12 09:04:15

Ive seen text put on doorknobs using print outs and, I think, Modpodge. I doubt that wold work for embroidery though.

Woolfey Wed 24-Oct-12 17:03:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itsstillgood Thu 25-Oct-12 10:35:16

Elizabeth Anderson had a website miniature-embroideries.co.uk but it doesn't seem to be active anymore.

I found that using the search inside facility on Amazon from a book of hers. I think there is an email address in there or you could contact the publisher.

http://www.mnsociety.org.uk/ may be able to help you.

I have seen them but not for a long time ...

SoupDragon Thu 25-Oct-12 10:38:40

I found a website selling something from her range but not the knob covers.

[deliberately smutty]

gussiegrips Thu 25-Oct-12 21:25:42

Ha ha ha, embroidered nob covers. Might be up for making something along those lines, but only with "do not disturb" on it. And, not in the new kitchen.

thanks for the ideas and leads, I really appreciate it.

Will post images once done. Kitchen version, natch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now