Talk

Advanced search

Selling an old sewing machine?

(8 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 20-Oct-12 06:55:14

I have my grandmas old elna seeing machine.

I think it's an elna supermatic su. It's in full working order.

I'd like a machine that can do basic sewing - which the elna does very well. smile but I'd also like something that I can use for appliqué, quilting and maybe a little more functionality.

What do you think I could sell it for?

How much would a new machine that can do the above cost?

TIA! smile

ClareMarriott Sat 20-Oct-12 09:27:06

I've only heard of Singer and Janome sewing machines myself, but you might like to contact Skip Sisters, run by 5 ladies, which is based in East Dulwich. They make lots of crafty things from recycled stuff so they might be able to give you ideas Good luck

Stitchthis Sat 20-Oct-12 21:18:13

Elna are wonderful. My mum had one too. Have a look on eBay.

Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 20-Oct-12 21:58:31

I can't find out the model as its in the loft ATM (need tidy house as trying to sell it) but I think it's an elna SP.

Would it be easy to get a walking foot thingy for it?
It's a good little machine - but very heavy and fairly noisy.

JamNan Sun 21-Oct-12 10:48:45

You might be able to get a walking foot for your machine. Try World of Sewing who can advise you and will do mail order. Does it do zig zag? I would hang on to it as these older machines are good 'work horses'. Maybe it just needs a service if it's a bit noisy. My old machine is 40 years old and still going strong.

Molehillmountain Sun 21-Oct-12 21:40:52

Def look on eBay-you'll get a good idea.

BirdyArms Mon 22-Oct-12 16:14:45

Do you already use a sewing machine? If not I would hang onto it and see how much you really need any extra features. I bought a new machine about 3 years ago and despite my best intentions have hardly used anything other than zigzag and straight stitch. I had planned to make a quilt, use the embroidery stitches etc but it hasn't happened - I have used the special buttonhole maker a few times which has been fab but that's about it.

Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 22-Oct-12 16:57:17

Birdy - I use it for curtains mostly. But I really want to start quilting and will be able to as I can set it up in the spare room and not worry about clearing of the dinner table each day. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now