Talk

Advanced search

Anyone made their own curtains?

(12 Posts)
MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 19-Oct-12 15:19:08

Just that really! In fabric shop today buying thermal lining for dd curtains and seen the most gorgeous fabric reduced to £3 a meter that would go in my living room. I was going to buy curtains but figured I could give this a go. I can borrow a machine and the window isn't huge (aprox 80inches wide with a 90inch or so drop). I thought of maybe buying thermal linings in correct size then sewing the new fabric to them after I've hemmed it etc

Ginshizz Fri 19-Oct-12 15:25:32

I made curtains for most of the rooms in our house when we moved as we were too broke to buy any new ones.

I am the least talented craft person in the whole world but it was surprisingly easy ... Go for it!

X

PS I can tell you from bitter experience that sewing while drunk, even if you've only had a little, results in hours of unpicking the next day blush

Ginshizz Fri 19-Oct-12 15:26:41

PS the thermal lining is a good idea; I put thermal black out material in the bedroom curtains which worked brilliantly.

Grumpla Fri 19-Oct-12 15:28:29

Yep it's really not that hard as long as you are sober has your library got a reference section? Any soft furnishing book would have diagrams etc. What kind of curtain rail have you got? Tape and hooks is dead easy.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 19-Oct-12 15:31:52

Oh sounds great grin promise not to drink first
Iv not got anything up yet, but was thinking just a pole and hooks. I figure if I just use the thermal lining 'curtain' as a guide, I can't go wrong hmm

I will have a look on YouTube tonight for any video tutorials smile

Ginshizz Fri 19-Oct-12 21:55:12

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it! Pole and hooks sound like a good idea.

The John Lewis website has some good stuff on making your own curtains if you're after inspiration.

Have fun but not wine

grin

HappyTurquoise Sat 20-Oct-12 21:06:55

We have 4 huge floor to ceiling windows in our living room, so if anyone sees good fabric at 10p a metre, let me know!

Have made some in the past. If attaching a lining, just attach along the top and let them hang (make the front a little wider than the lining, to cover it).

HappyTurquoise Sat 20-Oct-12 21:07:45

Measure constantly, check twice (or more) cut once.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 20-Oct-12 21:13:10

I actually found a pair of curtains today in ikea reduced from £30 to £15! They aren't lined but pretty thick anyway. I'll see if I can link them.. Nope can't see them online

aleene Sat 20-Oct-12 21:53:23

Buy plenty material! Don't skimp on that.

lemontruffles Sun 21-Oct-12 09:48:23

I am a professional curtain maker - feel free to pm me if you decide to make your own and you'd like any advice.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sun 21-Oct-12 10:33:06

How very kind of you truffles smile. I'm still planning it in my mind but will take you up on that offer smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now