Talk

Advanced search

What would you want from a yarn bombing workshop?

(23 Posts)
DillyTante Fri 19-Oct-12 12:21:08

I've been asked to run a yarn bombing workshop by the local art gallery & museum, as part of their Christmas fair.

I've got some ideas but would love to know what you would want from a workshop. What would make it special or inspirational for you?

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 14:14:29

Cake.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 14:15:46

I don't really know... how it go about it, the kind of things that work, how to attach your bomb... make one item which you then have to go hide in the town, maybe with a tag from the museum on it...?

flubba Fri 19-Oct-12 14:19:22

grin Soup grin

I assume people who are going to sign up are already proficient knitters/crocheters, so I reckon some ideas mainly, and also a quick session on how to yarn bomb branches of a tree or a lamppost or something - so have some suitably-sized objects for people to practise on?

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 18:37:56

Yes, I assumed they'd already have the necessary skills.

Is there a suitable sculpture/whatever by the gallery which you could make things for in the workshop and then go and actually bomb it after dark?

flubba Fri 19-Oct-12 19:25:57

My " grin Soup grin " was at your first post - hadn't seen the second one by the time I posted, so wasn't being mean smile

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 19:52:17

Lol... I didn't think you were smile

DillyTante Fri 19-Oct-12 20:56:42

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to specify people who can already do knitting or crochet, at least the basics, I can troubleshoot.

The art gallery woman would like us to yarn bomb a bandstand which is in the gardens near where the workshop will be. It's a good idea and I will probably have to go with it, but I can't help but feel part of the yarn bombing experience is the adrenalin of being all renegade and wondering if you will get stopped or into trouble. Doing it in this organised art project way might take the fun out of it. But then again it is a good introduction. There is no teaching involved in yarn bombing, it's about confidence.

I thought I'd do a spiel about the background behind yarnbombing and the different motivations, lots of examples and inspiration. Then in the spirit of Christmas, start off with a group project of red and white strips (of chunky wool) which we would sew up one of the bandstand poles to look like a candy cane. Then I would send them back out to the bandstand with tape measures to plan their own little yarn bomb then come back and knock them up before going out and planting them.

What do you think? I need to make sure it is engaging. And I tend to appear a bit "bumbling" in my training, but I will be getting proper cash money for this so I need to appear professional, though renegade at the same time. How would you expect a yarn bombing 'teacher' to dress?

starfishmummy Fri 19-Oct-12 21:13:17

To be frank I wouldn't go on a yarn bombing workshop. I.think yarn bombing is a bit of fun, but don't see the point of having a workshop (which guessing I would have to pay for).

MmeLindor Fri 19-Oct-12 21:17:04

I was going to say, 'DillyTante to lead it'

smile

HappyTurquoise Fri 19-Oct-12 21:19:02

What about covering aspects of what is legal/illegal/a bit hazy and grey area?

DillyTante Fri 19-Oct-12 21:24:43

Awww MmeLindor smile

Starfish, I completely agree with you actually, but I think the key will be the camaraderie. Which is why I need to make sure they get something from it.

And legalities, it's all legal. Yes it is. I'd should check really shouldn't I?

flubba Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:37

I thought it wasn't legal as it's defacing (albeit temporarily) public buildings. I am not informed though so could well be wrong.

I agree that doing it in such an organised way kind of defeats the whole point of yarnbombing - might be worth mentioning that to the organiser?

yy to background and inspiration.

How long have you got?

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 22:10:21

You could practise on the bandstand and send them away to make something to put on something else - you could arrange to meet one dark night to actually put them in place.

DillyTante Fri 19-Oct-12 22:11:09

10-3 so 5 hours.

flubba Fri 19-Oct-12 23:27:52

Wow that's a long time.

I like Soup's idea of arranging to meet one dark night!

scarlet5tyger Sat 20-Oct-12 13:27:53

I didn't really know what yarn bombing was until very recently and although I love the idea I'm too scared to actually do it on my own so would love a workshop like this so I could have some comrades!

SoupDragon Sat 20-Oct-12 15:08:09

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the workshop showing the techniques of attaching stuff (using the bandstand), planning a Bomb etc and then give people a time/date/place to turn up with X item to yarnbomb properly.

Sadly you are too far away for me smile

kellestar Sat 20-Oct-12 16:06:12

Hmmm... I would like to know easy sewing up techniques or attachment. Some tips on speedy knitting/crochet to prepare pieces in advance, especially big projects. Organising a yarnbomb. I've seen you've put notes on some of your pieces explaining what you are doing, maybe advice on that too. I love the idea of them doing a late night yarn bomb at a later date. Agree the bandstand is more to practice tecniques. Ooo recommended materials. I recently crocheted a piece to be used out of carrier bag yarn but the yarnbomber didn't like that, wondered if it was a faux pas. Ideas for first experiences. Maybe, plan a halloween themed yarn bomb for a project. If you crack and open glow sticks, dunk your wool and string up... Makes great webs... Just saying grin. We do our tree on the drive and it looks spooky.

HappyTurquoise Sat 20-Oct-12 20:28:02

I was thinking about the legal aspects and was wondering if saying 'it's a good idea to/ I recommend that you get the landowners permission' would cover you. Just don't want you getting into trouble. and have to stop because you get locked up and carted away because then you can't yarn bomb anymore!

I'd like to know about the ins and outs of why different people do it, and advice/ options of what to do if caught in the act or if someone makes a complaint about a yarn bomb. (Serious and funny suggestions.)

Am thinking this might possibly be near enough for me to attend, so am really hoping I might have enough money for it, and that it's at a time I'll be free/not working.

HappyTurquoise Sat 20-Oct-12 20:29:26

Like scarlet, I just need a few like minded mates to get started, and a common reason for doing it.

HappyTurquoise Sat 20-Oct-12 20:39:21

On workshops I've been on (needle felting, mosaics, wet felting, painting) it's been good when the basic equipment is either leant out, or available to buy for a small fee or included in the cost of the class. Or if keeping the cost down, suggest people do bring & share with yarn, and bring-your-own hooks/needs. Nice if there's a few samples/examples for us them to see and feel too.

Maybe suggest we they make something in advance to bring along on colour or project theme, so if some people don't finish, they can still have a back -up to leave, if the idea is to finish with a yarn bomb in situ.

DillyTante Tue 30-Oct-12 21:20:31

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I've been AWOL.

HappyT, I think it is going to be 2nd Dec, in the Garden Gallery. I don't know any other details though. Hope you can make it smile

I have submitted my proposal details to the gallery and they seem happy, so now I just have to get on with planning and being inspirational!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now