Talk

Advanced search

Want to learn to crochet - where do i start?!

(9 Posts)
Chocolateporridge Wed 17-Oct-12 15:34:28

My gran taught me the basics when I was very young but that was a LONG time ago smile

I'd love to start again, can anyone recommend a good book or website?

juneybean Wed 17-Oct-12 15:36:59

I find YouTube videos really helpful but I learnt from watching my mum, so no help there

antshouse Wed 17-Oct-12 15:40:52

Google attic24. She has a lovely blog with links to her patterns and tutorials with lots of lovely blankets.

You tube is good when you need a demonstration rather than a picture or instructions.

PurplePidjin Wed 17-Oct-12 15:46:29

The Art Of Crochet By Theresa is a good youtube channel - left and right handed versions of everything and many practical patterns smile

Come and jump in on Team Hooker anytime, and the Woolly Hug threads if you fancy a little project to get you started.

Welcome to the dark side wink

ClareMarriott Wed 17-Oct-12 15:57:56

If you have an arts centre in your town, they may run knitting/crochet/sewing classes

Chocolateporridge Wed 17-Oct-12 22:55:36

Thanks for the tips, I think its a great idea to watch videos and I'll give it a shot. I'm a book person though and would love to have one that covered the basics plus some little gift things I could make, any suggestions?

PurplePidjin Thu 18-Oct-12 08:40:43

The one I suggested also has written instructions, but I'm not sure how good they are for a beginner - my Mum taught me, and i tend to make it up as i go along these days!

antshouse Thu 18-Oct-12 10:24:10

Have a look in the craft section of your local library.

I used Debbie Stoller's The Happy Hooker a lot for learning stitches but it uses the american stitch names so maybe look for something by an english author would be less confusing.

Hobbycraft used to have free leaflets outlining basic stitches.

I taught myself a few months ago from a you-tube video and a static webpage, both found when I search "how to crochet a granny square"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now